Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Made My Own SkidPlate for my 1998 XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shelby_Extreme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Made My Own SkidPlate for my 1998 XJ Reply with quote

Made a Skid Plate for the Transfer Case on My 1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr Sport.

It Mounts to the Cross Member with 4 Bolts. I Found Some Scrap Steel Laying Around from Another Project My Dad Was Doing So I Used it in Making a Skid Plate. I Used 60"x1"x1/4" Flat Bar and 24"x15"x1/4" Plate Steel. Once I Cut the Flat Bar to Length I Bent the Front to a 40* Angle and the Rear to a 35* Angle and Welded the Outside Rails Together Using Flat Bar 12" Long. I Then Started Cutting the Plate Steel with an Acetylene Torch (Iím Not That Steady with a Torch) and Tacked Each Piece on to the Rails. Once the Plates Were Welded I Added a Gusset to the Bottom of the Skid Plate to Add Some More Strength and I Thought it Looked Cool Too. It Took Me 5-6 Hours in 3 Days to Make and Mounted it in about an Hour with Access to a Vehicle Liftand During Installation I had to unbolt the trans mount to get the bolts in. It Weighs about 40 Lbs and I Drove over it with My Cherokee Before I Installed it and it Didnít Bend at All. As I was testing the skid offroad it performed good. If you have questions PM me.
Hope Y'all Like it!

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE QUALITY OF THE PICTURES. THEY WERE TAKEN OFF OF A CAMERA PHONE
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/jd_spitfire_1979/XJ%20Skid%20Plate/

Tools Used:

Hack Saw
Tubing Bender
Acetylene Torch
Arc Welder
4 Ĺ" Angle Grinder
3/8" Air Drill
Ĺ" Electric Drill
7/16" Drill Press

Materials Used:

Plate Steel 24"x15"x1/4"
Flat Bar 60"x1"x1/4"
15-20 Welding Rods
4 7/16"x3 Ĺ" bolts
4 7/16" lock washers
8 7/16" nuts
Spare nuts to use as spacers
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it will take a beating
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Projects & Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: