Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel guage acting up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lampropeltis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Fuel guage acting up Reply with quote

My fuel guage occassionally reads empty - even after I fill up - for the first 25- 50 miles. And sometimes it will park itself on empty while it is on half of a tank Rolling Eyes . At this point I am not sure if it is a wiring issue at the instrument cluster or elsewhere. Since I currently have the interior of my 98 wrangler pulled out I would like to test out the wire(s) responsible for the fuel guage @ the instrument panel. However, the Haynes manual does not give me enough detail. If anyone has a wiring diagram for a 98 TJ, or any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Peace
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your other guages die at the same time? If so, read these.
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4056&highlight=instrument+cluster
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6608&highlight=instrument+cluster
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1852&highlight=instrument+cluster
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1517&highlight=instrument+cluster

How to remove it...
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2006&highlight=instrument+cluster

The early Wranglers have this problem. It's a bit of a gremlin with no permanent fix.
Lampropeltis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, but I had looked at those links before (you posted them in someone else's thread). But I have had no such problems. I do believe alot of those problems were with early 97 TJ's, mine is a 98. All of my guages were working well prior to embarking on this project except the gas gauge.

Thanks for the link on how to take the instrument cluster out too, though I already have that out Very Happy . What I would really like to know is what wire is resposible for what on both of the plugs that go into the instrument guage. So if anyone has a wiring diagram that goes into detail about the instument cluster, I could go onto the next step. The ol' Haynes guide does not go that deep. Smile

Peace
fourwheelsolutions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: fuel guage problems Reply with quote

have you had the tank down or out. I got a 97 which had fuel problems along with the gauge. They're easy to pull down and see what's going wrong. How long has it been a problem. Also on the 97 there's no inline fuel filter only a sock intank and if it hasn't been replaced I would look into it. If I had a 1/4 of a tank and went on a turn it would buck and kick. Starting was always a problem to it took awhile and a few turns of the key I changed the whole thing $$$$ but the problems are gone. Good luck finding it.
Jonny Jeep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: fuel guage problems Reply with quote

fourwheelsolutions wrote:
Also on the 97 there's no inline fuel filter only a sock intank and if it hasn't been replaced I would look into it.

OK, first off, no TJ has an inline filter. what we have instead is two strainers within the tank, and the main fuel filter/regulator unit which sits on top of the tank.

As for the intermittent guage fault - I had a problem with my temp guage acting funny which was caused by a screw coming loose on the back of the guage which could be another possible cause of the original posters problem. I'd suspect that or the connector problem at the back of the cluster.

When my sending unit failed in the tank it had the usual problem of indicating too much fuel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: