Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just replaced rear axle now front end roars

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
missions

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: just replaced rear axle now front end roars Reply with quote

I have a 1998 jeep grand cherokee limited with 55K miles on it. Mechanic replaced the rear axle after finding differential had shavings - problem one day later is my front end roars getting worse (almost deafening) with speed. Had to pull over when it started having a "crunch sound during tire rotation at slower speed? In other words I was going maybe 40 and it seemed like something dropped and than crunch every so often made we feel unstable so pulled car off road. Called mechanic - he says bearing may be out in front wheel but this is the same noise I was having when I brought the car to him originally - it just seems to have transferred from the back end to the front? please give me some insight!
Also I have a terrible fume smell inside the car after I stop and than accelerate it permeates the car - its smells more like exhaust but different - has a burning smell to it but not like anything I smelled before.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe mismatched gears? Get a new mechanic or repair it yourself.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange, BINGO.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he put in mismatched gears go there and kill him . or ask for all your money back and free replacements .
missions

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course killing is out of the question but the anger I feel is perhaps justified! I thank you for your input because I would have not known about the "missing gears" . I mentioned that to him when I took my jeep back to him to look at - he says the other person in his shop matched serial numbers and counted the teeth ??? whatever that means - but he started saying if I had replaced it sometime or if the manufacturer didn't use the right one (WHAT??) The car has 55k miles on it and I am the second owner- no one replaced the differential or rear axle - hello?

I do have a question though...he says the smell is grease oil burning - why would that happen - and does anyone have any idea why I would be needing a rear axle / differential and now he says possibly a front axle- on 55k miles and NO off road driving - just city driving???
He also claims it may be a bearing in my front wheel-

I agree = get a new mechanic but if he did something wrong I want him to fix it first - he charged me over a thousand dollars already!
kaos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before actually assembling the firing squad, it might be as well to make certain whether the ratios actually match.

First, check the tags on the axles. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/dana_id.html shows where they should be located. If they don't match ... that firing squad starts looking attractive pissed .

Even if the tags do match, there is a chance that the gears have been replaced in one of the axles, so here is a discription of how to figure the ratios that I lifted from http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/reading/mph-rpm.htm:

Quote:
Raise both wheels of the axle, with the transmission in Neutral. (Make sure you support the vehicle with safety stands and block the front tires.) Make a reference mark on the driveshaft and on the differential housing. Next, without rotating them, make a mark on both tires and their respective fender wells. With a friend watching the driveshaft, carefully rotate both tires at the same time exactly one revolution. The number of turns the driveshaft makes will indicate the ratio. If the driveshaft rotates 4 ˝ turns, for instance, the axle ratio is roughly 4.5:1.

A variation of this method is to raise only one wheel and rotate it two revolutions. That, however, may not work if you have a locker in the axle.

As for the hot oil smell. If the ratios front and rear don't match, and if you have a full-time-only (249 or 247) transfer case, it probably comes from there. And, if so, there is a good chance that your transfer case is halfway or even completely toast Sad .

HTH
--
Kári
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to look at it yourself, at least take it to another mechanic, only for a second opinion. Or seventh if you count us!!! If you do find out the first hack screwed up, DON'T let him fix it! Demand a refund Evil or Very Mad and take it somewhere else.
missions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so they came back with this....front pinions - inner and outer bearings and rings/seal - center section bearins and sleeves and outer boots all bad $550 = can this be for real = he says he went online to trouble shoot the problem - tells me the numbers match because they called the vin number into the dealer = ??- nothing about the tags or reading them? what do you think?"
fourwheelsolutions

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: gear probelms Reply with quote

If the jeep is a quad track and he put the wrong gear in it than there's more problems. Look at the front ID tag if it says 3.07 or 3.73 or something like that lift the jeep up on jack stands or have a mech do it. Pop off the rear diff cover and look for markings on gear set or count the teeth on the ring and pinion and divide to get gear ratio. It sticks for you and the mechanic who did the job If it was done right noises can be a crap shoot Good luck.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, if he's trouble shooting on the computer that means he doesn't know and is guessing!
Orangeamc13 wrote:
If you don't want to look at it yourself, at least take it to another mechanic, only for a second opinion. Or seventh if you count us!!! If you do find out the first hack screwed up, DON'T let him fix it! Demand a refund Evil or Very Mad and take it somewhere else.

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Come on, if he's trouble shooting on the computer that means he doesn't know and is guessing!

x2 - get it out of there!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a real mechanic would just look at the numbers stamped into the ring gear and pinion not just the tag .

how a mechanic would actually check this .

1. look at the year and vin and a tag on the axle .

2. pull out the ring and pinion and look at the the numbers stamped into them on the side

3. order the parts

4.install

5. test drive the vehicle

through all of this he would of filled out forms

he obviously skipped a few if there is miss matched gears
and no mechanic would have to go online to troubleshoot such a problem , an entry level automotive should be able to do such job with no problem at all .
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut your losses. Use different mechanic. Take 1st mechanic to small claims court for damage done to truck by incorrect repairs. This has been tested in courts and is has precedents. There is no excuse for not checking gear ratios when messing with diffs. Good Luck! Evil or Very Mad
missions

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: help! Reply with quote

I took my jeep (now with new front and rear axle) to Kansas City - 11 hour drive - on my way home 8 hours back - I hear a noise familiar to before - pull off and there is some type of oil all over the bottom of my car and even on the back hatch- something is very wrong - of course I am in a bad part of town and some guys who eventually my girlfriend and I find is some type of scam they run to get money from you - they jump under your car while you are waiting for your AAA tow and tell you what is wrong in hopes of getting cash for their diagnosis - this is how they make a living - like washing you windshields at a stop light and than handing out their hand for cash - anyway - one tells me its an oil hose and another says its my differential - I had it towed to the dealer - haven't heard the prognosis - thought I would check here for wisdom - knowing what has been done to my car already - what are your thoughts -
missions

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: differential Reply with quote

ok the dealer is saying its the front differential - which was replaced with the front axle - of course they are telling me all sort of things I need to replace - but here is my question - if it blew out the fluid - it should still be under warranty - cant they just reseal it and fill it with fluid and I am on my way home?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: