Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep takes forever to start

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Jeep takes forever to start Reply with quote

i have a 1989, 4.0l aw4 automatic, and for whatever reason it likes to be cranked on for a few more seconds than i like before it starts...it starts a LITTLE bit faster when the engine is hot, but still, takes longer than it should..what exactly will affect starting..plugs, wires, what? thanks!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 89 does the same thing . in my case its low compression . it could also be my ugly ass sensors or dirty injectors . but 90% of mine is no compression .

how many miles are on your engine ?

how long does it take to start 3 seconds? 5?

you could start by removing your spark plugs and gapping them or replacing them , take the cap off your distributor and inspect it for wear . if the wires look pooched then replace them . another thing could be a restriction in the fuel system (i doubt it because you said it's not as bad hot) but changing the filter can't hurt or checking fuel pressure on the rail . a compression test would also be a good thing to do , you probably only need to do the first cylinder it is 95% the worst because of water pump location . clean out your throttle body (i use mercury power tune , you spray it into the throttle body while running , try and clean out the crap first but after that spray it down you usually put about half a can into the engine and let it sit for 15 minutes and then run it for 5 at around 3000-4000 rpm . some stp fuel injector cleaner will probably do nothing but can't hurt and it's cheep .

how long has it been doing this ? just lately or for a few years consecutively getting worse ?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the older cherokees were like that, my 87 does it even with new injectors.

dads old 91 was the same way, my friends 88 same thing
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I got my 97 I test drove an 87...to start it I had to hold the key 10 seconds, stop, and then it cranked right up when I turned it again. That and the grapefruit-sized hole rusted into the back floorboard ended that test drive pretty quick.
c130herc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
the older cherokees were like that, my 87 does it even with new injectors.

dads old 91 was the same way, my friends 88 same thing

91 on down use the RENIX system and it waits until it receives all the inputs for it to fire. Usually takes a few more seconds than the newer ones. If it takes a really long time the fuel pressure could be dropping down. Should be a check valve in the pump but it can go bad. I believe there is a fix for this if you get a BMW check valve. It is externally mounted and you put it back by the fuel filter. I have not done this so I am not positive.
c130herc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrat97 wrote:
I test drove an 87...to start it I had to hold the key 10 seconds, stop, and then it cranked right up when I turned it again.

More than likely fuel pressure needed built up. I usually wait a few seconds with the key on before I crank mine. It is also a habit since my truck is diesel and I am use to waiting before I start.
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm alright, thanks everybody...ps it takes like, idk 3 seconds max to start
just long enough to make it sound like a POS compared to most vehicles that are like click BOOM ya kno...but yeah thanks everyone
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say 3 seconds is normal
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 91 starts way faster then my 89 . 3 seconds is pretty normal
89JeepXJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, alright thanks guys...PS does anybody know where i can get a jeephorizons sticker? my jeep could use one
xjnuts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it start easier after you have it running a short time? My 88 had a prob like that. It would start much quicker after that first time in the day. I found the injector o-rings were leaking along with the throttle body gasket. But 3 seconds is about right for these old beasts.
93Jeeper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c130herc wrote:
TheBrat97 wrote:
I test drove an 87...to start it I had to hold the key 10 seconds, stop, and then it cranked right up when I turned it again.

More than likely fuel pressure needed built up. I usually wait a few seconds with the key on before I crank mine. It is also a habit since my truck is diesel and I am use to waiting before I start.

This is a very common trait on 4.0L Jeeps. I had an 89 Comanche that did it and now I have a 93 Cherokee that also does it. I've seen late model Cherokees (i.e. 2000) that also have long crank times.

Even after a very thorough tune-up on my Cherokee, I still have the longer cranking to get it started. I have noticed, however, that if I do the following steps, it starts right up. You basically are cycling the fuel pump twice...

*Turn the key to on, but don't turn all the way to start so that the engine starts cranking.

*You should hear your fuel pump in the back "run" or "cycle" for ~3 seconds.

*After the fuel pump cycles, turn the key to off

*Now turn the key back to the on position a second time (again not all the way to start; don't crank the engine)

*Wait for the fuel pump to cycle once again.

*Turn the key to crank over the engine and it should start right up like a "normal" vehicle.

I don't know if it'll work for you, but it seems to work really well on mine. I wonder if my fuel pump will wear out twice as fast though. Confused
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont hurt your pump your just double priming the system , and giving it some good pressure . but by the time you have done that you could of just cranked it for 3 seconds and been done .
93Jeeper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
...but by the time you have done that you could of just cranked it for 3 seconds and been done .

If mine started within 3 seconds you'd be right. However, the engine will crank over for at least 6-8 seconds before it starts w/o the double prime. And yes, I've done the full tune-up, including running the bottle on the injectors and replacing the fuel filter. It's just my $.02, but makes a BIG difference in the starting performance of my Jeep.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

93Jeeper wrote:

If mine started within 3 seconds you'd be right. However, the engine will crank over for at least 6-8 seconds before it starts w/o the double prime. And yes, I've done the full tune-up, including running the bottle on the injectors and replacing the fuel filter. It's just my $.02, but makes a BIG difference in the starting performance of my Jeep.

6-8 seconds , thats weird that the problem wasn't solved after a tune up 6-8 seconds is crazy .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: