Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

manual transmission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: manual transmission Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to put a 5 speed tranny from the 93-94 ZJ's into a later model ZJ? Id love to convert my 95 to stick
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what engine did the 5 speed come on?
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure but i know the base tranny was a stick in the 93-94 model years, and i was hoping someone out there would have had the swap onto a later zj, or if it was even possible to mate it with the 5.2
viper24242

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5 speed came on 93-95 zjs with the I6. I have read about somone who swaped the 5 speed into a later madel jeep without many problems but for the life of me I can't seem to find the article. I found the article on Jeepfourum.com though. On the ax-15 swap the shifter nested right where the current auto shifter is. Took a lot of time and spare parts but the guy said that he has had no trouble with it.

The 5.2 would eat an ax-15 alive for sure. Putting one behind a 5.2 would be a death sentence for sure. Especially if you have done any performance mods to it. I would recomend a nv4500. You would probably have to get an adapter but I would go talk to the guys at advanced adapters or novak conversions since, from what I hear, they are highly regarded in jeep circles.

The swap won't be easy or cheap but I think it would be worth it. I would love to put a manual behind my 5.2L but right now its just not in the cards. I would try searching the jeepforum site because I know that is where I found the article the first time, I just can't seem to find it now.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i definetely dont have the funds for that kind of thing right now, but I'd love to do it... a stick 5.2 ZJ would be bad ass
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wanting to do the manual swap for a while. I started collecting parts a few years ago but them sold them to a guy who wanted to do the same to a TJ. (He had a 5.2 in it already..) I helped him get it straight so I know how to do it but as stated above..

Quite expensive.. (He used a Dodge 435 tranny. Its only a 4 speed but the low gear is super duper low.. It came out very cool.. ) I may do the same .. But I have yet to begin reupping on the parts.. Mr. Green

ONe day.... Confused

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: