Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2000 WJ 247 to 242 Swap - Pictures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unlikeno1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: 2000 WJ 247 to 242 Swap - Pictures Reply with quote

I have a stock 2000 Grand Cherokee that's my daily driver. It has the 4.7 litre V-8 with the NP 247 Quadra-Drive T-Case.

I was on my way home and I stopped at a red light.. light goes green step on the gas and truck doesn't move. Felt like somebody had attached a chain to the back hitch. I get out of the truck look underneath and nothing looked wrong or out of place.

I try moving the truck again and still nothing. I figure maybe the T-Case had slipped out of gear so I moved it into Neutral then into 4-Lo and the truck moved forward with no problem but there was a loud clicking. I stopped and put it back into All-Time, move the truck forward and I hear something literally fall from underneath and on to the pavement. I take a look and the outer case from the tail stock on the transfer case that houses the oil pump had shattered and all the pieces had fallen to the pavement.

I was an avid 4 wheeler for years and I have no problem swapping cases out so I did some research and thought about taking the 247 out and replacing it with a 242. I did manage to find a 247 a few hours from where I live but they wanted $1000 for it... so I kept looking and I came across a 242 for $600 which to me was reasonable considering the lack of parts in my area. Remember this is my daily driver so I need to be up and running as soon as possible.

The 242 is from a 2001 Grand with a 4.7 V-8 and the spline count was correct. So I picked it up and brought it home. Everything looked good until I noticed the input shaft is only 3/4" long and the input shaft on my 247 is 2 3/8" long.

Has anyone swapped out the shaft from a 247 and installed it into a 242 transfer case? Any other advice or comments would be appreciated!

Unlikeno1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE - My swap was a success! I took the input shaft from the 247 and I swapped it into the 242 without a hitch. I installed it last night and it works perfectly. I kept the original interior shfter plate, brackets and cable but it needs to be adjusted. It's very difficult to shift into the various gears and I can barely get it into 2wd so I'm going to pull the center console apart this weekend to see what I can do in terms of adjustment. The swap also solved some other problems that I was having as well and it was obvious the 247 T-Case was the culprit.

1. When I would come to a complete stop every now and again I would notice a small jolt in the driveline almost as if the driveshaft had turned one full turn on it's own with the brakes applied. When I bought the truck originally I was told by the dealership that the 247 was re-known for this problem and there was a bulletin floating around but it was never really re-solved. Now the jolt has disappeared. Perhaps the coupler was disengaging incorrectly?

2. Two years or so after I purchased the truck it would pull slightly to the right as if the front brake caliper was slightly seizing. After several wheel alignments and many arguments with shop mechanics telling me the wheels were straight the pull was still there.. I lived with it for so long and now it's gone and it seems the turning the steering wheel is a little more easier due to the lack of AWD. I figure the 247 might have been applying a little more power to the front right wheel? Not sure but I'm still looking into if it's possible?

Overall the 242 is a little more noisy in terms of gear whine but it's only noticeable when driving without the radio on etc.. The best part for me is that I'm now in control of when I want to be in 4 wheel drive or simply in 2wd.

Funny thing is... 2 other problems have turned up this afternoon and one really concerns me. I came to a red light and I noticed my oil pressure gauge slowly dip down to zero. So naturally I turned off the engine checked my oil and it's fine. The gauge seems really intermittent and bounces around so I'm picking up a new sending unit and we'll see. But that's not all.... My engine light comes on and the engine starts iding erratically from 1000 rpm to 500 rpm and it's even stalled on me a couple of times... Probably the IAC plunger thing-a-ma-bob...Trouble codes P207 and P204 have been recorded so I have to check them out. It's almost like my truck is rejecting the new transfer case...All I can do is laugh.

Thanks for everyone's help and if you have any comments about my current problems feel free to chime in.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did u switch the wires behind your VIC on the dash? That's what tells your ecm that you've got different transfer case in there.
From Swampy:
ON the inside of the truck remove the radio bezel.. (6 philips screws)
And pop it out .. There are 3 philips in the Vehicle Info center pull it out and you will see two sets of plugs .. a Red one and a black one..
I think the red ones where hooked up but not sure..
But the point is.. whichever ones are hooked up .. Un hook them and hook up the others.. Very Happy
Unlikeno1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cajzmere wrote:
Did u switch the wires behind your VIC on the dash? That's what tells your ecm that you've got different transfer case in there.
From Swampy:
ON the inside of the truck remove the radio bezel.. (6 philips screws)
And pop it out .. There are 3 philips in the Vehicle Info center pull it out and you will see two sets of plugs .. a Red one and a black one..
I think the red ones where hooked up but not sure..
But the point is.. whichever ones are hooked up .. Un hook them and hook up the others.. Very Happy

No I didn't swap the wires. I wasn't aware that I had to do this. Can you explain what the "VIC" is and for what purpose does the ECM need to know what transfer case I have?
cajzmere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VIC is the information center under your radio and heater controls. It shows what position your transfer case is in. Your computer adjusts shift points, fuel/air ratio, spark timing...... according to speed sensors, throttle sensors, expected drivetrain needs etc... You've changed a major part of your drivetrain, the computer can adjust itself if it knows you're in 2 wheel drive smokin' those back tires!! Change those wires over and lemme know how it went!! Smile

PS I've NEVER Shocked seen a transfer case blow up that bad on the road!!
Unlikeno1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cajzmere wrote:
The VIC is the information center under your radio and heater controls. It shows what position your transfer case is in. Your computer adjusts shift points, fuel/air ratio, spark timing...... according to speed sensors, throttle sensors, expected drivetrain needs etc... You've changed a major part of your drivetrain, the computer can adjust itself if it knows you're in 2 wheel drive smokin' those back tires!! Change those wires over and lemme know how it went!! Smile

PS I've NEVER Shocked seen a transfer case blow up that bad on the road!!

My GC is a 2000 and the information center is in the overhead console. The shifter plate on the console is what shows what position the T-Case is in. It does make me wonder if there is a change that I need to make to tell the computer everything you mentioned above?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 249<231 swap on my 94 and did not switch the wires. I've never had a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: