Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine start trouble, loud water sound after start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nori

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Engine start trouble, loud water sound after start Reply with quote

When I try to start my engine up from a cold state, it usually takes a few tries. Furthermore, once the engine starts, I hear some water flowing inside the hood, and it's kind of loud.

I haven't presented this water sound issue to my mechanic, but as for the engine start, he told me that I may have a bad fuel pump which ineffectively pumping the fuel to the engine.

Before I have him to conduct this fix, can anyone tell me if this *could* be the problem? And I don't know why I hear the water sound from the hood right after the engine start.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant help on the water sound.. it seems like ive heard this befor to tho... i think i just didnt worry bout it...
as far as the fuel pump id check the top of the grand cherokee forum and look at the sticky call swampy bypass.. i have yet to do it but im really wantn to.. im almost positive it will be cheaper then paying your mechanic to fix it.. im sure he will charge an arm and a leg to get you back to shitty stock... might as well do it yourself and get a way better system!!! im really wantn to do this soon but my jeep is startn so you might get to it sooner... if you have a haynes they describe how to lower the gas tank and it really looks like a breazzz. Or you could just cut it like swamp boy.. that always works rofl that really is the hardest part.. good luck!
nori

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Darkness, but... Sad the Swamp bypass seems to be *way* out of my skills since I don't know much about mechanical work at this moment; not to mention, it deals with gasoline and I don't want to do anything stupid that may accidently catch my entire car on fire.

As I read in Swamp bypass, I'll try to narrow it down to the pump first and ask my mechanic to also check and see if the fuel filter is clean, then print out the page and show him if he can do this job for me.

Thx for the advice.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before i came here the most extensive thing i eva did mechanically was change an altenator... im sure you can do the bypass it is very straight forward.... im telln u jeeps are like legos.. they go together real easy.. id say try it out yourself...like i said you dont have to cut a hole in the back of your rig you can lower your gas tank pretty easy.. if you need help thats what this place is for.. good luck man
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the exact same loud water noise on startup when my coolant/antifreeze reservoir was low. Have you checked to make sure it wasnt that ?
nori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. I went to check my antifreeze level, it is full when cold.

Quote:
if you need help thats what this place is for.. good luck man

Thanks Darkness.. I'll keep browsing the forum first and learn all the basics before I try anything out. I can't even change an alternator at this point Sad Talk about being a noob. Rolling Eyes
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 5.9 makes that loud water sound too....and it still happens weather my coolant is low or full.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dose any one else have this? or have any clue what it could be?
im gona try to get an audio clip from mine and throw it on here, mabe that will help with the diagnossis.
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriends makes the loud water sound. I was reading the thread in hopes someone found it Smile
Winch
Centerforce Dual-Friction Clutch & Pressure Plate
Custom Front & Rear Bumper's & Tire Carrier
Braided Break Lines
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
ARB's
Air System Purchased and in the works
rssnrocket9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like no one has a clue...its strange ive never heard that sound in a car before, but all the zj's including mine seem to have it
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does it too, I think it's the coolant moving through the heater core.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Mine does it too, I think it's the coolant moving through the heater core.

your probably right . you should have some one start it with you under the hood trying to listen were it comes from .

if you don't know what you are doing with a fuel system then don't guess , gasoline is extremely dangerous and there is potential to blow your self up . those grand cherokee's sure have a stupid design i can change the fuel pump in my xj in under 15 minutes .

if you haven't changed the fuel filter in a while it can't hurt they are only like 8$
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only hear mine from inside of my JEEP, so it has to be the heater core. There isn't anything else that would make a fluid sound under the dash. Really, I don't even realize it any more. When I read about it here, it reminded me. There isn't anything to worry about, it's normal. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: