Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is the best 3-4 inch lift available for my tj?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: what is the best 3-4 inch lift available for my tj? Reply with quote

im currently running 31x 10.5s and may upgrade to 33 12.5's eventually.. i dont have poop for flex now and need to lift it.. im thinkn some front sway bar discos and maybe track bar if i need it.. i lifted my zj and did a front to rear spring swap w/ an adj trackbar and trackbar drop bracket..

waht are some cheap options? i prefer top quality over a bunch of unneeded parts.. thanks in advance!!!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A coil spacer and body lift combo will get you 33's no problem!! That's probably the cheapest way.
fourwheelsolutions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you do with it I've spent alot of money on my RE 4 1/2" superflex and 1" body but the more brave you get with the jeep you find it's limits. Cheap is good for looks but for the offroad use you might be unhappy with it. Think about how far you want to go because you'll just be spending more than you thought later on.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
A coil spacer and body lift combo will get you 33's no problem!! That's probably the cheapest way.

2" BB and a 1" BL is the cheapest and a reliable setup.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome thanks guys!! i think ill get a budget boost and maybe a body lift.. i was kinda wanting to steer clear of the body lift tho..
will stock shock accomidate this setup?
can i use springs from an xj or zj to gain lift or no? maybe an upcountry or a front to rear swap type thing i dunno.. i want it to be cheap but stout.. under a grand and not to over done... i just want to get these 31's enough room to stuff in deep when they need to.. my ZJ is the rig ima go nuts with and make a trail monster!!!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need new shocks and either rear track bar bracket or adjustable bar. Body lifts are great to get that extra clearance needed for bigger tires. If you have a grand to spend you could also go with a 4" or so kit. They are pretty complete with lca's, front track bar, rear trackbar bracket, front disco's, dropped pitman arm, front and rear springs. Some come with tranfer case drop and shocks, some do not. I'm not sure about the front to rear coil swap. The stock front springs on 4.0 XJ, TJ, and ZJ are the same length. Of course the V8 ZJ springs are longer. I personally am a cheap motherf***er and would go with the coil spacers and body lift. The great thing about the spacers is that they can be combined with lift springs in the future.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
awesome thanks guys!! i think ill get a budget boost and maybe a body lift.. i was kinda wanting to steer clear of the body lift tho..
will stock shock accomidate this setup?

No. Stock shocks are too short with a BB.
Quote:
can i use springs from an xj or zj to gain lift or no? maybe an upcountry or a front to rear swap type thing i dunno.. i want it to be cheap but stout.. under a grand and not to over done... i just want to get these 31's enough room to stuff in deep when they need to.. my ZJ is the rig ima go nuts with and make a trail monster!!!

You don't need 3"-4" for 31s. They can be run with just a BB (RE BB is $220).
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

word up guys!! thanks for the replys.. i was thinkn budget boost in the beggining and to hear some reassurance about the the 31s and travle is great! is there a cheaper pakage than RE? i love RE dont get me wrong but there isnt to much tech in a polyurethane spacer.. so id rather not pay for the name if i dont have to.. i was jus hoping i could get away wit some bone yard springs and maybe some spacers on top of that... i want it to be "trail ready" as it says on the side.. i wont go larger in tires for a while cuz after i give them enough clearance im swaping out the I4 for an I6 or equivelant... maybe a 318 if its the same price and just as easy... i dunno what tranny i have yet so thatll probably be the deciding factor..
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubicon kit is one of the cheapest. Plus it comes with the rear bumpstop extensions, they are a must with coil spacers on a TJ. You could get everything seperate for about the same or more.

I found this installation link while looking the budget kit.
http://www.4x4xplor.com/REBB.html

This site is pretty cheap.
http://go2rdsi.com/racing/jeep/tj/tjstore1.html

ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
word up guys!! thanks for the replys.. i was thinkn budget boost in the beggining and to hear some reassurance about the the 31s and travle is great! is there a cheaper pakage than RE? i love RE dont get me wrong but there isnt to much tech in a polyurethane spacer.. so id rather not pay for the name if i dont have to.. i was jus hoping i could get away wit some bone yard springs and maybe some spacers on top of that...

You aren't paying for the name but rather the new shocks of appropriate length for a 2" lift as well as the included rear bumpstop extensions.
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to replace the stock shocks. They will work fine unless you are interested in max flex. The stock shocks will limit the downtravel of the syspension which will limit the flex you get, but they will work. The longer shocks will work better, but are not absolutely needed unless you are concerned with max offroad performance.

For street use, save your money!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: what is the best 3-4 inch lift available for my tj? Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
i dont have poop for flex now and need to lift it..

ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hutchman wrote:
You don't have to replace the stock shocks. They will work fine unless you are interested in max flex. The stock shocks will limit the downtravel of the syspension which will limit the flex you get, but they will work. The longer shocks will work better, but are not absolutely needed unless you are concerned with max offroad performance.

Longer shocks are absolutely required. You will hit maximum extension just driving on the street. It's a bad thing when you hit a dip in the road and the rear axle catches air because the shocks are too short.

At a minimum, you'll need extensions like those sold by Rocky Road. The stock shocks are too short, even for strictly road driving.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna go wit the RE budget boost.. thanks for the info fellas... im curious if thats all ill need tho? no adj track bar or any thing like that is needed? im thinkn not wit just a budget boost but i dont want driveline probs or death wobble issues cuz its my DD thanks again guys!!!
hutchman
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
hutchman wrote:

Longer shocks are absolutely required. You will hit maximum extension just driving on the street. It's a bad thing when you hit a dip in the road and the rear axle catches air because the shocks are too short.

At a minimum, you'll need extensions like those sold by Rocky Road. The stock shocks are too short, even for strictly road driving.

Of course I have to resectfully disagree with this statement. I am running stock shocks and have NEVER maximum extensionn on the street. Off road is a different matter.

All four on the ground.

Tell me sir, do you flex you Jeep more than this on the street?

What are you basing your statement on?

Perhaps this is just "something you know."

Hutch
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: