Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fog lights arent working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeymagic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: fog lights arent working Reply with quote

my fog lights have never worked, i bought the jeep in 2001 and they didnt work, the light on the switch worked. there in the stock location in the dash. now the light dosent even work. i tried to check all the electrical stuff and fuses and everything was getting power. any suggestions or diagrams? should i just get new ones?
Flowmaster delta flow 40
XJ915speedJohn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you physically check the output of the lamps?
Is there 12vdc comming out?.....if your swtch is on and no 12volts dc at lamp terminals then there is a problem from the switch to the lamps.
But if there is 12 volts at lamps and no light from lamp then you lamps are burnt.
before you spend any money verify the lamps take them out and check voltage with dvm or 12v light tester.

good luck let us know what you find
mikeymagic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: / Reply with quote

thanks for the help, ill try that tomorrow, its too dark now.

p.s. whats the major use for fog lights?
dumb question i know the answers probly to use when its foggy. but any other good uses? dark country roads, anything like that?
Flowmaster delta flow 40
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have really bright fog lights they work good off road . foggy conditions and sometimes snowstorms , basically if you can't see normally try the fog lights if no one is around and perhaps it will be better , perhaps worse .

it all depends on if you have 50$ fog lights or 500$ fog lights . truthfully you rarely use them or i rarely do .

perhaps the relay is dead
mikeymagic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tested the relay and that works, the 12 volts is going to it, but i couldnt find any voltage from the fusebox to the switch. i mean i dont think i need them, but there there, there pretty good sized and they dont work, i like to find out how things work and fix them so im not going to let them just sit there not working. lol.
Flowmaster delta flow 40
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, some states, like Virginia for instance, makes 'em illegal if they're not working, even if they're installed aftermarket. I had a set on mine that the bulbs burned out in from one too many water crossings, and the shop where I get inspected wouldn't pass me for just that reason. I said "I'll fix that", and with a wrench, wire cutters, and five minutes of my time I had 'em pulled off (I was getting a new offroad bumper anyway...). Can't reject me if I don't have foglamps on my bumper anymore. Twisted Evil Finger

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is the fuse any good ? you can pretty much only have
bad wires
bad bulbs
bad relay
bad switch
bad ground
bad power
blown fuse

what have you checked so far out of that list ?

you say there isn't power going from the fuse box to the switch , so you must have a broken wire or broken switch . is there power from that part of the fuse box ? i am guessing blown fuse or bad ground . start from the beginning of the circuit and work till you don't find power go back to were you had power and try and figure out whats in between causing you trouble . Smile

basically im saying have fun with your multimeter
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just rewire the lights and switch. It's easy and then it should work fine if the bulbs and switch are good. Pop out the switch and check for continuity with the switch on and off, this will tell you if the switch is good. Run a jumper wire from the lights to the battery, but only for a second, if the lights turn on they are good.
kaos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to note is that the lights may be wired so they only turn on when the headlight low beam is on.

HTH
--
Kári
rix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 95 did the same thing, in the fuse block under the hood there is a 15 amp fuse for the aux lights, which is the fog lamp.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZJ lights worked like that. I threw in a bypass switch so I can turn them on anytime even with the highbeams. Normally the highbeams cancel out the fog's.
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Fog Light Dont Work Reply with quote

Most state laws are fog light / driving lights can only work in low beam only. Secondly have you checked for ground between the bulbs and the case and the bumper . Most lights not working is this problem.
If you have power at the bulbs and they dont light it has to be ground.
Use a multimeter. Not a test light. Run power to the lights directly from the battery.
1991 Cherokee Limited
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch I installed allows the original switch to function normally (only with the low beams).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: