Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is spring wrap, and how to fix it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emr454

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: What is spring wrap, and how to fix it? Reply with quote

Hi all, just wondering what exactly is spring wrap and how it is fixed. I ask because I have clunking noise coming from the back end of my jeep. It happens when:

I'm going down the road and I let off the gas, I hear a clunk and there is some noticeable movement in the rear end.

If I take off fast I hear a clunk, but I'm not sure where it comes from(I try not to do this too often!)

It only happens in 2WD, havent heard it yet when its in 4WD.

Is this spring wrap? If so, can I just replace the springs and get rid of the problem? Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring wrap can be caused by weakened leaf springs usually with lift blocks under them. The rear end begins to twist under the spring. Basically the rear end moves front to back or back to front instead of just up or down with the springs. Are you lifted or stock? If you do have spring wrap, new springs will fix it. I lifted mine with s10 leafs, got rid of the spring wrap and achieved 4.5" of added height.
emr454

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all stock right now. It might not be spring wrap then if its not lifted? I think I have to replace the yoke in the rear differential, so that might be the cause of the noise. I'm about to pick up 2 cherokee's this weekend for parts, ans if the springs are in better shape I might replace them anyway. The back end isnt sagging too bad now, but you can notice a slight difference between the front and the back.

One more question, if I do the S10 spring swap, do I HAVE to get new shocks for the rear, or is that just an option? Thanks!

Eric
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its also called axle wrap. It sounds like you have the rear end clunk if your sure its in the rear it could be the pinion bearings or the crush sleeve

if you think its closer to the front it could also be a trans mount at the crossmember

does the jeep upshift when you let off the gas and then it does it?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you would need new shocks with s10 springs.
emr454

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
its also called axle wrap. It sounds like you have the rear end clunk if your sure its in the rear it could be the pinion bearings or the crush sleeve

if you think its closer to the front it could also be a trans mount at the crossmember

does the jeep upshift when you let off the gas and then it does it?

It sounds like its towards the rear end, but I'll check the tranny mount first since that seems to be an easier fix.

It doesnt upshift when I let off, it just makes a clunk noise when I'm driving and let off the gas. I'll be geting a few parts off of 2 XJ's this weekend and I'm going to go through and check the whole rear suspension and fix what I can.

As far as the S10 springs go, I might pass on that idea for now and see if the springs on the 2 donor vehivles are in better shape and swap them. I dont want to lift the rear end too high, just get it back to where it should normally be.

Eric
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock springs are really soft and easily do the spring/axle wrap annoyance. I added Hellwig helper springs to the front of my springs for a temporary fix and it stopped the wrap completely. I replaced the springs once already, next time will be the towing package ones. The tell tale sign is braking relatively hard to a stop and when letting off the brakes the rear end will feel like it drops and you get a clunk sound.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you really have a problem with it and you make your leaf packs then cutyour leaf packs off-set with more leaf material on the front then the back , just like on a mopar from the late 60's -70's Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: