Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Growling noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tronman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Help Growling noise Reply with quote

I have an 87 Cherokee automatic (AW4 & NP242) and while driving it will suddenly make a growling vibrating noise like RRRrrrrr. It will start loud and then the noise level will lower. It does this a different speeds and only occasionally. I have down shifted and it does not change. I have slowed down and the noise stays the same then it just goes away. The noise does not change with the speed of the vehicle. There is no slippage in the transmission. Any ideas?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this just start? It could be the cv centering yoke on the front driveshaft. I've had a similar problem on my ZJ, but mine started with a whine and then it eventually started growling. I went through the whole front end. First I did the hub and bearing assemblies, no luck. Then I changed the passenger cv axle shaft (driver's side was very recently replaced), no luck. By now the noise was driving me crazy, so I ordered new spider gears, no luck. I hadn't owned anything with the centering yoke before, so I didn't even know to look there. I eventually took off the front drveshaft and zipped around the block and the noise was gone. Well at least I got a new front end out of it, it cost like $30-$40 for the new yoke and it was fixed. If mine wasn't so bad I could have just greased it, but when I tore it apart all that was left was pieces. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it is possible. The easiest way to ckeck it is to pull off the front driveshaft and inspect the double cardan joint. While it's off go for a ride and see if the noise is still there. Sorry so long, I got excited. rofl
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out your 4wd selector some times the bushings wear out on the t-case and it will vibrate like crazy at certain times .

good chance its just the double cardian
935speedxj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Did this just start? It could be the cv centering yoke on the front driveshaft. I've had a similar problem on my ZJ, but mine started with a whine and then it eventually started growling. I went through the whole front end. First I did the hub and bearing assemblies, no luck. Then I changed the passenger cv axle shaft (driver's side was very recently replaced), no luck. By now the noise was driving me crazy, so I ordered new spider gears, no luck. I hadn't owned anything with the centering yoke before, so I didn't even know to look there. I eventually took off the front drveshaft and zipped around the block and the noise was gone. Well at least I got a new front end out of it, it cost like $30-$40 for the new yoke and it was fixed. If mine wasn't so bad I could have just greased it, but when I tore it apart all that was left was pieces. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it is possible. The easiest way to ckeck it is to pull off the front driveshaft and inspect the double cardan joint. While it's off go for a ride and see if the noise is still there. Sorry so long, I got excited. rofl

today an what i think to be my slave cylinder/throwout bearing started to go squeels when i press on the gas an sounds like a playing card stuck in a kids bike spoke when i let off the gas when i dump in the clutch it all goes away tho ... i am running about 9 inches of lift an usein a zj front shaft for the rear could it be either of the front shafts that i an running?

edit: i got courious so i used my forklift to lift the rear an put it into gear then looked under it the front zj axle i used for the rear was to far extended to take the tourque i was putting to it to it was about 1/4 inch out of round .... an the doubble cardian's u joints are toasty.... so im gonna get it rebuilt ...im really glad i seen this post or i dont think id of caught this as soon as i did thanks.....~phil
93 cherokee 9 inch lift 6.5inch leafs 1.5 inch shackles 8.5 inch coils an lca's ..,jks disco's,front an rear steel tube bumpers ,an roof rack that i welded up an a bunch of metal that i cut off.... not to mention my wanna be wrangler doors ....
jeepthing1127

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the u-joints in the rear driveshaft mine did that. it almost sounded like a tire rub. get heavy duty u-joints and a t-case drop
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: