Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

V8 swap into 97 XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: V8 swap into 97 XJ Reply with quote

Looking for some information on the process of converting from the six cylinder to a fuel injected V8. any ideas on a good motor? what all would be required to do the swap? is there any tech forums you guys can direct me to? help is appreciated!!! Also would a new tranny be required(if so whats a good one to choose?)
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it depends on how big you want to go .

you could go with say a 302 or a 350 depending on how much power you want you could stroke out the the 350 , i would go towards a Chev engine because parts are generally cheaper especially for the 350's .

you could look at places like advanced adapters for an adapter for your aw4 (it will probably blow up with a 350 under your hood)

what type of driving are you doing ? do you want an auto or manual ? do you want to put in a atlas II or something like that as well ? will your dana 30 hold up or do you have 44's?

i would probably put in a 3970010 (production years 68 - 79) 350 or 327 2&4-Bolt mains/Truck/Hi Perf High nickel content . you want the 4 bolt main and then drop a fuel injection set up on it .

or just rip a 350 out of a newer truck with all the goodies on it or an aluminum LS####### .

tranny , something like a turbo 350 or 400 .

a v8 can be a 302 or a 572 , be more specific on what kind of power you want and how much cash you have .
badger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but the AW4 can easily handle over 400 horse so your aren't going to hurt it with a simple 350 install.

the AW4 is the same trans used in the auto Supras.which is the same trans used in the auto drag Supras putting out over 600 horse............

now onto what to put in to an Xj .

a stroked 4.0 is your best option .a V8 is time consuming and a total bitch.the engine bay was never designed to hold a V8.the radiator is shaped wrong to cool a V8.you want a narrow tall rad for V8's not a short long one found in the Xj's.

not saying it can't or hasn't been done ,but you will come across many issues.if you want to know more go to NAXJA and do a search for V8 swap you will come up with plenty of hits.

Last edited by badger on Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stroking is a better option and i would of stated it but he said he wanted a v8 .
if you stroke it i would also look at a aluminum head for it , throttle body injectors etc . the head isn't necessary but i would definitely recommend a cam for a stroker , hopefully i will be making a stroker in the fall out of my spare engine .

i wouldn't put that much torque into a AW4 , low speed and lots of power . that poor little tranny will heat up and the clutches will burn off . you will definitely need a cooler which is no problem , you probably won't wreck it you will just have less reliability . there are also heavy duty performance rebuild kits for them however its cheaper to buy a TH350 or 400 if you can live with out OD . if i was to stick with that transmission i would just put a shrapnel blanket around the bell housing and a tranny cooler anything else is a waste of money for it. but thats just my opinion .

you could also look at a turbo or blower , i would personally go with a little nitrous shot for it because i wouldn't want all that power all the time . but thats just me .

if you still want a v8 be prepared for a bunch of fabrication , or spend to much money .

and rads are cheep .
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldnt reccomend a v8 swap, if you want a v8 get a grand, you can snatch a 5.2 up for less than what you would have in converting your xj over

rads are cheap but clearance isnt
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the opinions. I think the motor i have in it now is about done for. I just thought the idea of puting a V8 into a cherokee sounded like a good project to do if I had the $$$. my best option(and most cheap) is probably go with the stroker kit. I was thinking the Hesco 4.7L stoker kit

Comes with:

Hardchromed Crankshaft
Forged Pistons
Performance Connecting Rods with ARP rod bolts
Total Seal Piston Rings
Double Roller Timing Chain & Grear Set
RV Style Camshaft & Lifters
New Main Bearings & Rod Bearings
Very Happy
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by 97xjcrawler on Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
badger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch is all i can say on the Hesco motor.you will being paying out the nose for it.they over price everything they have.you can look for a part they carry see the price and go find the exact same part for half or a third less then what they ask.

don't get me wrong they make a good product but its just to costly.

why not just get a stroker rebuild kit or piece one together youeself and have your tired 4.0 rebuilt into a stroker.

you could also go to a junk yard find a 96+(might be 97+) 4.0 pull it for $150 and have that one rebuilt while you still roll on the tired one.the reason you want a later model motor is they come with a crankshaft girdle(brace) the run the entire length of the crank the older ones don't have this option.all though it can be added with a few tricks

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piece together your own stroker , your local machine shop can be very help full . i priced out my stroker to be under 1000$ doing most of the work myself except for plaining and boring .

i agree with badger on you will pay $$$$$$ with the hesco , its a good product but you could sell your cherokee and go buy a grand cherokee with a 5.7 or 5.9 for less .

i would go with the 4.6 stroker or 4.7, not more then .030" over in the cylinder walls . some guys go .060" or even .090" i just think thats really pushing it .

you wont be disappointed with the stroker . i can't remember what year of mustang injectors fit in the 4.0L but if you have to buy injectors i would put them in because #1 there cheaper #2 there more efficient at atomizing fuel and can get them in and Lbs per HR you want .

Edit haha the injector thing is a post above of this .
97xjcrawler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the input!!! I thought since my motor is about done for, putting a V8 in would be a fun project. Since I am a broke college student stroking it would most likely be the best option. The Hesco 5.7L stroker kit looks like a good one. any other suggestions???
badger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said go get a 99+ block from the junk yard send it out to get cleaned up.get the parts needed to stroke it and by the rest of the parts for a standard 4.0.

this is the page you want to look at

i was going to build a variation of the 4.6 low buck(being .040 over instead)

4.5L Low-buck simple stroker

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods
Jeep 4.0L 3.875" standard bore pistons
9.7:1 CR
CompCams #68-231-4 206/214 degree camshaft
Ported HO 1.91"/1.50" cylinder head
Stock 0.051" head gasket
0.081" quench height
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines, Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
266hp @ 4950rpm, 322lbft @ 3500rpm

4.6L Low-buck stroker

Option 1: Same as above except:
Speed Pro H825CP +0.030" bore pistons
9.6:1 CR
Mopar/Victor 0.043" head gasket
0.081" quench height*
265hp @ 4900rpm, 325lbft @ 3500rpm

Option 2: Same as "rockcrawler" except:
Piston dish volume 22cc
9.5:1 CR
Crane #753905 204/216 degree camshaft
Ford 24lb/hr injectors with adjustable FPR or MAP adjuster for '87-'95 engines, Ford 24lb/hr injectors with stock 49psi FPR for '96 and later engines
262hp @ 4800rpm, 325lbft @ 3500rpm

was looking at a range of 270 when done with some polishing and porting.that is a massive jump from the stock over rating of 190(cough cough) it was more like an anemic 175.

its a torque producer not a horse power motor.funny thing with a nice torque curve you will be surprised what that motor can do.it would be wise to get a nice aluminum radiator to help cool the beast as well as a nice high flow water pump.

your looking at about $1000 for a good parts kit with a cam ,bearings ,seals. all things needed to make it go again.then you are looking at some $500~800 to have the motor machined.maybe a few less if you find a motor in good shape and it justs needs to be cleaned up.you could have the fun of putting it all back together if you really want a project.just make sure to take your time and pre-grease all the proper parts and places.

so

$1000 pistons,rods,crank,cam,bearings, seals
$500~800 have the block machined or cleaned up( honed )
$250~300 for injectors
$100 water pump
$200 for an aluminum(150 for a 3 core from NAPA)

so to low ball it you are looking at $2,000(thats doing a lot of the work yourself) for a nice new stroke motor that will put out in the range of 250~260 hp with a torque curve from hell

you can easily roast the tire on an Xj after a good stroker kit

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sorry on my quote i get everything at cost and free machining .
badger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i also added things like the radiator and high flow water pump but really if you get it from the right place its cheaper then a factory pump.

i mean really you can pull it off for a bit less but most don't want to do a lot of the work themselves when they find out how involved it can be.

to add to the list of things needed would be an adjustable map sensor to adjust fuel delivery.

DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to find a horsepower solution, but MD still does the emissions every 2 years and at the moment my 2000 XJ is my Daily Driver. I would love to drop an LS1 or some type of V8 into the jeep, but it would'nt pass since my xj is an obd2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: