Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine issues

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewey962

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Engine issues Reply with quote

Ok I'm at a loss. I have 97 4.0 TJ with 94,000 miles, manual trans. Here's my problem... When I first start my Jeep and go to drive off the engine sputters like it's running out of gas in 1st or 2nd gear untill I floor the gas. After its does it the one time its runs fine after that. It's always the first time I move it after I start it. Even if I just drove 100 miles, if I shut it off and restart it, it will do it. I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, crank position sensor, and ran injector cleaner many times. It still runs a little rough. Any ideas?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try replacing your tps sensor. Of course my check engine light was on and I threw a code, but my jeep was running very sluggish. You might want to consider actually cleaning your injectors also instead of running the injector cleaner through your fuel system.
Have you checked the fuel pump to see if there could be a problem? I'm really at a loss of ideas of what could cause it

http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2413

My Morning Jacket
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sorta sounds like the problem I have. It happens almost everytime I start the Jeep. It will run ok for a few seconds then stumble to the point of barely running for several seconds and then runs fine. If I am driving it will just barely run and then after a few seconds run fine. It will run fine until I shut if off.

I have not figured it out yet. I am thinking it may be something to do with an automatic choke or something like that because it is only when the jeep starts and then only for a few seconds. It happens and ends before it ever gets warm though. But I thought it might be something to make the engine run a little different when it first starts and then something is sticking or malfunctioning that will not let it return to normal operating conditions. Then again I may be just crazy. I thought this could be because of offroading and got something dirty or sticky and it needs to be cleaned to return to normal operating conditions.

dewey962, if you find anything out, please post as it may help me too.

Tim
Winch
Centerforce Dual-Friction Clutch & Pressure Plate
Custom Front & Rear Bumper's & Tire Carrier
Braided Break Lines
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
ARB's
Air System Purchased and in the works
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monitor the fuel pressure with a psi gauge at start up and during normal duty. I'm willing to bet your fuel pump may not be performing up to standards during initial start up.

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you turn on your ignition without starting it does the fuel pump run and stop after say 2 seconds or does it run longer? If so you have an issue with your fuel pump.
dewey962

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question ahead... How can I tell if the fuel pump is running and should it start and stop or keep running? Sorry
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had another thought of what could be causing my/our problem. Could be that gas is just slowly leaking from somewhere. Just enough to make an air bubble in the system. Then when the air bubble gets to the injectors, there is not enough gas and causes the stumble. I don't have a clue if this is the problem, or where to even start looking, but sounded like a plausable cause.
Winch
Braided Break Lines
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
ARB's
KHAKI-CON

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are over thinkin this problem.....i work for a dealership in MI. already have done four of them myself. it's a problem with all the 4.0's with higher milage....tps sensor. if you were to pull it apart you would see a dark spot in the filiment. replacement will stop this problem. while your in there a bit of carb cleaner on a lint free rag though the trottle body wouldnt hurt either. Wink
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my Throttle Position Sensor (that is what TPS Means right?) a couple of years ago because the jeep was throwing a code. The Jeep is not throwing a code, and it only happens just after it starts. If you really thing this is the problem, I'll swap it again. But would it only do it at start like that?

I'll give it a shot though if you really think so.

Just give me a shout back & I'll try it. He he...I'll almost run to the dealer & get is as I'm going Jeepin' next weekend & it would be nice if the problem was fixed by then. We are going to http://www.thecliffsinsaneterrain.com/

It will be my first time there & hopefully it will be a good time Smile

Let me know & THANKS!
Tim
Winch
Braided Break Lines
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
ARB's
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dewey962 wrote:
Dumb question ahead... How can I tell if the fuel pump is running and should it start and stop or keep running? Sorry

You should be able to hear it once you turn the key to the ON position.

It honestly sounds like you guys are having fuel pressure regulator problems, sometimes the flapper valves go bad and allow the fuel to drain back into the tank...quick fix is to just turn the key to ON count to 10, then start the Jeep...if that fixes it, you know what the problem is.

If it were the TPS, most likely you would have other issues, besides just at start up...not saying it can't be the TPS, I'd just be surprised, unless you do have other issues and forgot to mention them.

I also agree with KHAKI-CON about cleaning your TB and IAC on a regular basis...a sticky TB will hamper the IAC in it's job...

To take all the guess work out of the equation, see my original suggestion, get a fuel PSI gauge, they cost ~20.00 and just screw onto the schrader valve...everyone should have one in their tool kit, it's a great trouble shooting tool.

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fourwheelsolutions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: fuel probelm Reply with quote

I also have a 97 tj they don't have an inline fuel filter I had the same problem drop the tank and look at the sock filter jeep even change it to a larger sock at this point think about a new fuel pump since I changed it I've had no prombles.
Jonny Jeep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the upstream O2 sensor.

The TPS will have your revs bouncing up and down at idle and most likely throw a code when it goes bad. I think the recommended replacement interval for the O2 sensor is 82.5k miles but mine went bad at 62k.

It didn't throw any code. I just got hestitation after driving a hundred yards or so down the road and it ran fine afterwards. I replaced the sensor and have not had the problem since.
JBE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Engine issue Reply with quote

I have a 97 TJ, 4 cyl, manual with only 44K miles and it has the exact same problem. I have tried all the remedies mentioned other than the fuel flow and TB cleaning. Any other suggestions?
blktrax

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 97 TJ 2.5L with the same problem.

Changed: Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor

Cleaned: Throttle Body

2 Diffrent brands of fuel.

2 bottles of Gumout fuel system cleaner.

After about 5 minutes of warm up, runs like a champ, idles fine. If I try and drive before that, it bucks and kicks, and almost stalls but never accually stalls.

Anyone found anymore information on this?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throttle Position Sensor
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: