Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Flares

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badgley15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Fender Flares Reply with quote

Over the winter, my fender flares on my '97 TJ have become very dull looking. Instead of being all black, it's more of a grey. Just as an overall job to make it look good for the spring.. any suggestions to make them look like new? Painting them? Let me know, thanks.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill buy em off u if u wana get new ones.
killwhytey07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A freind of mine pulled his off, primed them real good with special plastic primer, then used paint specificly for plastic (krylon I think). That was a year and a half ago, and they still look good.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can paint them, replace them, use Back to Black (I think is the name of it?), but my favorite idea was use a heat gun to heat up the flares. It turns them back to their original look. I thought that was the slickest of all ideas. Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:
You can paint them, replace them, use Back to Black (I think is the name of it?), but my favorite idea was use a heat gun to heat up the flares. It turns them back to their original look. I thought that was the slickest of all ideas. Wink

Unfortunately, this helps to draw the oils out of the plastic and they only fade again. This time around, they get blotchy from the heat because it's hard to apply it evenly.

The best way is to use flexible bumper paint found at your favorite local auto parts store. Duplicolor makes from that is a light satin and works extremely well for the flares. Spray is on light and put on multiple coats. It works amazingly well. I've never had to respray my flares after using this.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I baught my Jeep, I noticed white blotchy spots on the flares, both front and rear on the passenger side only.
The dealer that I baught my Jeep from had four other used TJ's on the lot, and they all had the same white spots front and rear on the passenger side. The dealer didn't have a clue as to what would cause the spots nor would they replace the flares, but I did get a fair deal on my TJ so I can't complain to much.

I have used Armor All, and it only makes spots stand out more and attract dirt.
Will the Duplacolor spray hide the white spots?

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
Will the Duplacolor spray hide the white spots?

Yes.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR, you could always Line-X them Smile

If/when my Bushwackers fade (Had them for 2 years now and they still look new) I fully intend on Line-X'ing them...I've seen some Jeepers that have done the same and I LOVE the look!

Of course it'll cost a lot more than a rattle can job, but you'll never have to touch them up again...

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but my favorite idea was use a heat gun to heat up the flares. It turns them back to their original look. I thought that was the slickest of all ideas.

I just took my heat gun to the front flare extention and worked real well, but I can see where over a large area the look will become uneven.
I did large overlapping circles to make it as even as possible, and yes it did get rid of the white spots.
I don't know how long it will take, but I do expect to see them fade again like ehirner mentioned.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
fourwheelsolutions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hade the same problem I used no touch tire spray and the came back for a month it's easy and cost less. The only thing it doesn't last. I know now the make krylon for plastic. It's all in what you want
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good thing I didn't do the rest of the flares with my heat gun, because it sure didn't take long for the white spots to come back.
When I went to autozone to get antifreez for my radiator and thought of looking at the plasticote paint, and they of course didn't have it.
Oh well...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
It's a good thing I didn't do the rest of the flares with my heat gun, because it sure didn't take long for the white spots to come back.
When I went to autozone to get antifreez for my radiator and thought of looking at the plasticote paint, and they of course didn't have it.
Oh well...

Good info'. I won't recommend that again. Wink
I run Xenon's, so really it doesn't affect me. And my factory flares are in good shape for the wife's XJ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: