Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another T-case question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: another T-case question Reply with quote

ok i got a 5.9L JGC and i need 2WD and 4X4 and i have not been able to find SYE kits for a 242 (which i wanted) but i just havent found any.
i am going to have to go with a 231 but i know nothing about them and im not shure about what i need 2 pull it out of to get as close to a direct up as possible. i got no problems with opening up the case... but i would like to keep my LO-lock and and the same spedometer setup if possible. any one that has done this 231 conversion, ur input will be greatly appreciated.

BTY i got a 5.9L with a 3.5inch RE lift, p265/75R/16 goodyear MTR's, 16inch Dick Cepeck's, Kn'N cold air, flowmaster exaust sysem w/ 3inch pipes, and a jet performance chip stage 2. and some other stuff but i forgot wat it was.
Horus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you already have the 242? Tom woods makes a hack and tap SYE kit for the 242 but if you want to upgrade to a heavier duty output shaft you need the 231. The T-case you want will have it's input shaft (from the transmission ) sticking out about 1.25 inchs and have 23 splines. If you currently have the 249 T-case the back half of a 242 and it's guts will fit together so you won't have to remove the front half of the T-case from the Jeep. This is great news if your four post lift is like mine ( four jackstands and a floor jack.)

Someone else out there knows what year they changed the pitch of the splines in the planetary gearset. They need to be the same for the 249/242 mesh trick to work.

BTW if your driveline angles are set right you don't need a SYE at 3.5 inch of lift. I've heard of dudes running 5.5 inchs of lift with the stock driveshaft and no vibes. Hope this helped.
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not really related to your question but I would have to say that you should go with the 231 because it is stronger than the 242. The amount of torque that your 5.9 will put out would be handled better by the 231.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i still have the 249 and i know i dont need a SYE now for my 3.5 inch but im gona throw on some 2" spacers and and make it 5.5inches.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you go with the 231 HD. the hd is for heavy duty. it is stronger than the 231.. so you cant get the one out of a wrangler or cherokee it has to be a v8 dodge truck 1500.. at least thats what im lookn for Mr. Green
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 231 is plenty strong, the 231hd is just stronger. The 231 is fine to install, I switched from the 249 to the 231J and it is great. If you're not running huge tires and climbing massive boulders the 231 is more than enough.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when u say "fine to instal" do u mean it will be direct bolt up and plug and play or am i gona have 2 crack it open and swap some stuff, which is ok. also will i have 2 cutt some length off my drive shaft, i would like 2 avoid that if possible.

thats fing getting one out of a doge ram but what year and model will it have 2 come out of? also i would like to keep a working spedometer because this is my daily driver.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by fine was it's OK to install. It's hard to say what you're gonna have to do. I used an 88 XJ t-case and had to break it open and swap gears. It's very easy, just time consuming. The 88 had a mechanical speedo unit. So I just kept the unit off my 249 t-case and it went right in. The only suggestion I can make is that if you want it easy as possible look for something as close to your model year as possible.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. i have a 93' grand cherokee and a 92-95 will work in 96 they did something different in the 1500 dodge trucks.. i will search to see if i can member what.. you probably neeed 96+ but do some research first... illl let you know if i find anything
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i gues i ought to go find a wrecked doge V8 1500 4X4 in the junk yard now. im gona go for the 92-95 model year.
which sux because there arnt many doges in the junk yards around here that i know of, but i havent been 2 em all. Crying or Very sad

i think ill end up swaping the input shaft and planetary gears to fit to the tranny and ill put the tail of my 249 on the back of the 231D so i can keep my speedometer setup and keep my rear drive shaft.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet sounds about like what i want to do.. please keep us informed of your progress.. id like to make it as painless as possible... no new drive shafts and ease of installation..
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to plug right into the speedo sending unit on the 231. If not it's only held in by one bolt. You just pull the sending unit off the 249 and put it right in the 231. That's what I did because the 88 t-case I used had a mechanical unit and mine was an electrical unit. The one bolt that holds it on goes through a fork like clamp that sits in two slots on the unit. Just make sure you note the position of sender, becuase it needs to go back in the same position.

Check this out, it shows the fork and removal of unit.
http://jeepsunlimited.com/zj/speedo/speedo.htm

5.9 andy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i called a dodge wrecking yard and i asked them about t-cases and they said that the 92 and 93 model yeas were right side drop, not the left drop that we jeeps need, so if u end up ordering one, make shure its not a 92 or 93. the 94 and 95 are driver drop, im not shure about 96,

just so u know.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o hey by the way, what exactly is low-lock for the t-case??

i have seen it been mentioned only a few times and im still not 100% shure what it is exactly, something about acting like a center differintal when its in 4-low and equaly splitting power? i realy dont know and before i poney up some 100 or so dollars i wana know exactly what im getting.

is there a hughe difference between having it and not having it?
and im prety shure that it was added in 96 but i read that in 93 they changed the t-cases some.

if u have any ideas plz share, i got the cash now and i would like 2 get this swap over with so i can move on to my next jeep project.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo Lock.. IS quite simply the saying that in a 231 (and 242 for that matter) the transfercase actually locks front and rear output together in Low.. In the 249 the case is still "open " in lo meaning the front and rear output can spin at different speeds .. In mudd I actually think the 249 did better because of that .. But on rocks or hill climbs its much easier to control with a locked case..

Hope that helps

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: