Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

jeep buying guide ??????

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisgerman1983

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: jeep buying guide ?????? Reply with quote

hey i am new to the forum. i am planing on purchasing a jeep Cherokee probably early 90' what specific areas should i be looking at what are the common problems and stuff like that? any help would be awesome thanks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 91 to get the HO engine . there aren't really bad years for them , they are all pretty much just as reliable depending on millage . np 231 transfer case or 242 ( i believe those might be the only options in early 90's but could be wrong) the automatic is a good transmission (aw4) towing package would be good as well , even if you don't tow .
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look around for an orange XJ. They run the best!!! eyebrows
pipxj

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick your head under the thing and take a look at the floor. They have a tendency to rust out, specifically on the passenger side.
chrisgerman1983

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks... i will look for an orange one for sure Very Happy probly paint it orange anyways Very Happy how do i tell the difference between transfer cases and what are the difference? as for rust is that the only real bad place, the body of them usually look surprisingly good. by the way brad i used to live in kamloops really miss it there the island is nice though Very Happy
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes oil leaks , rear main seal of the engine usually leaks .

go with the 4.0 the 4 banger is silly .
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another common oil leak area is around the Oil Filter Adapter! Throws oil EVERYWHERE!

Not an major evolution to fix, just pita to find right o rings (mine anyway)!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
chrisgerman1983

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks i got a few im lookin at should help a lot !! .... what about Grand Cherokee's is there much difference other than style and finish? any less trail worthy
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grand Cherokee ZJ comes with a 4.0, 5.2, or 5.9. The ZJ also has 4 coil springs. A lot of V8 ZJ's come with a 249 t-case, but they also come with the 231 and 242 for 6 and 8 cylinder models. The 249 sucks because it is a full-time t-case and is often swapped out for a 231 or 242.

The Cherokee XJ comes with a 2.5, 2.8, and 4.0. The XJ has coil springs up front and leaf springs in the rear. As mentioned the XJ comes with either a 231 or 242 t-case.

They each have their own characteristics and IMO they each have their own advantages. A lot of people think they're the same, but they're really two different vehicles.

As for being trail-worthy, they are both awesome. Like I said they are different and have their own advantages. You would not be disappointed with either JEEP, they are both very reliable and very trail-worthy. As you can tell by my sig, I had trouble deciding which one! So I just got both!Mr. Green

1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fortunate enough to have both the xj and the zj. My xj was in decent shape when I got it. By decent I mean the floor needed repair from rust, the spring hanger needed repair from rust, all on the passenger side. But my jeep came from the coast so I'm sure that didnt help matters. So whoever said that was right Mr. Green Also it has 227k miles and you can tell shes a little weak. But definitely get the 4.0 the other options are junk. As for the zj I have the 4.0 also and its no v8 but I dont expect it to be.

As for how they perform off road they each have their own pros and cons

The zj will flex something nasty due to the coils front and rear, but in order to get it in the air lifts are expensive because you need control arms all the way around

The xj has the coils in the front which allows for some awsome flex. The leaves in the rear help keep lift prices lower.

I personally like the zjs better just because of the body style, but I got my xj for super cheap, it had a dana 44 and a high pinion dana 30 front, which all xjs, at least from 87-00 have the high pinion front

oh and another thing to look out for is the vaccumm actuated front, stay away from that
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the NP231 is said to be stonger but lacks the full time which the NP242 has....there both equal in my book...i like the 97's and newer only because the body lines are a little smoother and the interior looks newer.....but i will agree orange will make it run better i put an orange cd in it and got better 1/4 mile times and better gass milage
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will probably buy a zj when my xj is no more . i would suggest the zj if you have the money , the interior is nicer and they look better and i would personally prefer coils all around.

i don't think they are that much wider but i could be wrong , 8" maybe?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not much wider, I'm not sure the exact number but I do know they are a shade wider that you would notice on a trail
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I could find!

XJ overall width = 67.9" - 70.5"

ZJ overall width = 69.3" - 70.7"

And This!

XJ overall width = 67.7"

ZJ overall width = 70.9"

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: