Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep Newbie with some buying Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
seancutch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Jeep Newbie with some buying Questions Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm currently in the market for a vehicle (the old Buick finally gave out, and I'm looking for something with a bit more cargo space). I've always liked Jeeps, and I think it may be time for me to join the club. I test drove a 94 Grand CHerokee Limited this morning (V8, 98k miles), and I was wondering if I could get a little input from the pros.

Cosmetically, everything appeared to be in good shape, with the minor exceptions of a missing coolant reservoir cap and some cruddy battery terminals. There was a small puff of smoke on startup (cold), and the engine was a bit louder than I am used to (of course, I am coming from a 97 regal with a V6, so I would expect a bit more noise). I did notice some rough idling, which caused me to raise an eyebrow, but it never seemed to be in danger of dying. The seller says that he has replaced the front end and the fuel pump recently.

Now for the questions: Is this kind of behavior to be expected on a 12 year old car with nearly 100k miles on it, or should I be suspecting a deeper problem? Are there any other trouble spots on this model that I should check deeper before buying? Whatever I get has to last at least 3 more years (at which point I will be out of school, and hopefully gainfully employed) - will this one do it for me? Also, the seller is asking $4500, which seems a bit high - what should I be looking to get?

Thanks in advance for the info. I guess I'll dig through the archives for a while...
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question I would ask the seller is "What exactly was replaced in the front end?". Sure some rough idling should be expected for a 94. It probably just needs a tune up. I bet it will last a lot longer than 3 years. But, IMO $4500 is way to much!!! Lower $3000 range is more like it.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Orange, $4500 way too much for a '94. You should be able to pick up a much newer one with about the same miles for that much. A BIG thing to look for is the transfer case. They blow up very fast on the AWD models. Test drive and make a really tight turn, like turning into a parking spot, it should not shake or screech the tires. V8 huh? They're a ton of fun!! and they DO make a lot of noise.....wouldn't have mine any other way!! It's fun to scare the neighbor's kids! Shocked
seancutch

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys! I took a friend of mine with a bit more Jeep experience with me to check it over again, and he gave it a green light, so I took the plunge! I'm now a member of the club.

I'll be seeing you around the forum.
-Sean
seancutch

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I asked the seller what exactly he replaced on the front end, and he didn't seem to know exactly (probably not much of a mechanic, and admittedly am not either - the bulk of my knowledge stems from listening to "Car Talk" on sundays). He said that one day the Jeep started to "roar," and he replaced the whole front axle assembly with a salvaged one. Anything I should be on the lookout for?

On a side note, I realize that my mechanic knowledge is a bit lacking, and I'm trying to educate myself. I'm reading the forum/tech articles here on jeephorizons, but frequently find myself running into more and more terms that I can't decipher. Any suggestions for a good "jeeps for dummies" book or service manual that will get a total newbie through basic/intermediate work?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best way to learn is hands on experience! Pick up a Chilton or Haynes repair manual for your make, model, and year. Put it on the back of the toilet, and read it like a bible!!! Also continue to search through the ZJ forum archives and try to soak up as much as possible. Start with an oil change and basic tune-up. Get to know your rig!!! Then it will be easier to understand what you read online or in a manual. Remember, it won't come over night.
crazy jeep

cajzmere

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange's strategy is right on. Educate yourself. It took me about 5 years of being ripped off by "professional" mechanics to get smart and at least learn enough to keep from being ripped off. Tricks like asking for your old parts back...so they don't just plug a wire back in say "I replaced your entire fuel delivery system to get your pump working again. $1000.00 please." Read all kinds of books... the library is packed with 'em. It makes alot of sense to become your own mechanic. Wait till u get good at it and your lawnmower dies and you look at it go "Holy crap!!" is THAT all it takes to fix one of these? You'll save urself a ton of money and have fun at it too. Plus you know what they say..The best Jeeps aren't bought, they're built. Cool
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really love the "professional mechanics", especially the kind that work on street vehicles and have no concept of an off road vehicle. Yet they keep "fixing" your vehicle the wrong way and soaking up all your cash. I got sick of fixing what was supposed to be "fixed". I can't remember when the last time was that I brought one of my vehicles to a "professional". That's like lending my lady to someone and letting them go under her hood and me getting charged for it!!! The only hood opening is done by me!!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comparison rofl
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rofl rofl rofl

There's nothing better than a "backyard" mechanic!!!
Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: