Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question for TJ and YJ stereo wiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynddancer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: question for TJ and YJ stereo wiring Reply with quote

i need to know how you hooked up the orange wires on the harness adapter... i have hooked everything to what it goes to on my new stereo but not the orance ones as there arent any orange one on my new stereo, help would be GREATLY appreciated. i have done everything i can think of and here is what i get: if i hook the orange plain wire to the yellow wires i have display and full power to my stereo and a dome light, if not nothing, and if i turn my headlights on and then off it turns off my stereo. cant hook up the orange w/ white stripe to the red w/ the other hooked up as i end up w/ dash lights on when i dont have the head lights on, and when both are not hooked up i have no stereo and no dome light... anyone else i have asked has told me that the 2 orange wires arent used but i dont believe them and after seeing your pics in the electrical section im sure i dont believe them.

Last edited by whynddancer on Tue May 08, 2007 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
whynddancer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmmmm either he isnt online much or is ignoring my newbie self Sad
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but i'm not able to help out a whole lot right now. the computers i'm using won't show any of the pics from when i made the write-up way back when...and i don't get to see my jeep very regularly. can anyone else look at the pics or maybe email them to me and i can decipher it? thanks.
chris

p.s. i don't ignore people just because they're new, i just don't get online that often when deployed to the desert. Neutral
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just hard wired mine instead of having that big ol harness behind my deck with a bunch of wires not even being used.. orange is illumination and your deck should have it if not yellow should be good.. if you got some pics or want to describe every wire you have hooked up i might be able to help ya a lil better did you try hooking the 2 orange 1's together? or both to the yellow? be careful be4 u start touching wires people may not reccomend it but i pretty much did that to find what wire was what on mine
whynddancer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dankness: ok i put yellow to yellow, red to red, black to black, (2)green to(2) green,(2) grey to (2)grey, blue to blue,(2)white to (2)white,and (2) purple to (2) purple... i now have the plain orange hooked to the yellows, and the orange w/ white stripe to nothing. i cant put the orange w/ white stripe w/ anything or it causes problems... but w/ the way i have it now when i turn my headlights on everything stays on, then if i turn them off it turns my stereo off.... no big deal i guess but if i need my lights on for some reason and then not need them i get my tunes shut off!!! what did you do w/ your 2 orange wires?

sorry quadna, didnt mean to blame you for ignoring me.... sorry your in the "BIG CAT BOX" hubby was there the 1st time our troops went over there in 1991. hope you get to go home soon.
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no sweat - here's the best i can come up with...

from your description it sounds like your head unit is receiving it's power directly from the dimming circuit.

for starters - disregard the green, purple, white, and gray wires - those ones deal primarily with your 4 speaker system. each color should be paired - one solid wire in that color and one that is striped. that would be the negative and positives for that speaker. so, bunch them together and to the side of the remaining wires. i think that my pictures showed them bundled like that...but don't quote me since it's been awhile since i looked at them.

that being said, you should have these wires from the jeep's harness - red, black, and either orange or yellow...or maybe one of each. from your head unit's harness you should have a red, black, blue, and the orange/yellow (maybe one or the other or maybe both). the black is definitely paired with the other black, the blue doesn't need to be used unless you're powering an amplifier or power antenna. all it does is provide a source of 12v coming back out of the head unit when it's turned on that would operate one of the two things i listed.

if my memory serves me correctly the orange wire is usually used as the illumination wire and would only need to be connected to use the dimming feature.

the yellow wire from the head unit's harness needs to be hooked to the unswitched power source to keep the time and presets saved. it doesn't necessarily operate the stereo...just keeps that power circuit operating for the memory. so use a meter to find which wire from the jeep's harness always has 12v coming through it and hook it to that one.

the red one i think is the one that is turned on and off with the ignition - so the red wire on the head unit's harness needs to be connected to the wire on your jeep's harness that comes up with 12v when the key is in the accessory or run position.

sorry i can't get more specific, but i'm going from memory here. can anyone else chime in that knows the specifics a little better than i do?
hope that helps some...
chris

p.s. 8th deployment for me - i can't wait until retirement comes knocking on my door in a few years!!!!
whynddancer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks... i was just finnishing up the tidy work on the wiring, have the pics for ya'll to inspect before i make a couple things permanent. oh btw, my jeep doesnt have the plain blue(power antena) wire and the new harness does and so does the new stereo, should i leave this unhooked and just cap em off??? let me know how this looks and i'll finish it all up and get her put back in the dash.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/whynddancers/album/576460762400868651
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read all those long winded posts.

The orange with white chaser wire is for illumination control of the head unit. Wranglers don't have that fancy feature accomplished easily. The fix is to NOT hook it up to anything. Tape off the end and leave it be.
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynddancer wrote:
ok thanks... i was just finnishing up the tidy work on the wiring, have the pics for ya'll to inspect before i make a couple things permanent. oh btw, my jeep doesnt have the plain blue(power antena) wire and the new harness does and so does the new stereo, should i leave this unhooked and just cap em off??? let me know how this looks and i'll finish it all up and get her put back in the dash.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/whynddancers/album/576460762400868651

You can hook the power antenna leads together from the 2 new harnesses but they won't control anything since the vehicle doesn't have a power antenna.
whynddancer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohhhhh darkness..... pull hair i give... just tell me how to hard wire the damned thing... i had put the old original male end harness back on but its f'ed up... i took it back off. let me know what goes to what now that i've gotten pissed and ripped the old out and am hooking up the stereo to all the original wires w/out any harnesses.

oh and BTW disreguard the pics on my last post. i'll put up new ones one thurs.

also may want to look at my new post in the YJ forum about the L side turning signal.
whynddancer

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i have slept since yesterday tho not well as this stereo and the L side marker light/turn signal is eating at me and will till i have it fixed.

after removing both harnesses as i have had it w/ the mess, i have hooked everything up as follows:

speakers:
R Rear: purple/black to jeep's blue/light orange
purple to jeep's blue/white

R Front: grey/black to jeep's blue/red
grey to jeep's dark purple

L Rear: green/black to jeep's brown/light blue
green to jeep's brown/yellow

L Front: white/black to jeep's brown/dark orange
white to jeep's dark green

Found the jeep's red wire to be hot w/ the key on so hooked stereo's red wire to it.

cant seem to find a hot wire when the jeep key is off, i have these jeep wires left: pink, orange, orange/white. i do know that the orange/white has something to do w/ my dome light cuz when its hooked up i have a dome light, especially when it is also w/ the pink wire.

since i have nnot found a hot wire when the key is off my memory(yellow) wire on the stereo is not hooked up.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the factory wiring...I use the harnesses.
1cleanTJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to be a dickhead.... but cutting off the factory harness end is the worst thing you can really do. They make those $5 plug in harnes adapters for a reason. All you have to do to install a cd player if hook up all your speaker wires, and hook up constant power/key on power/and ground.

so wire back your stock harness plug and then match up the harness adapter wires to your cd player's harness. the orange illumination wire, the rem. amp wire and the power antenna wire will not be used, just cap/take the ends up and tie them neatly to the rest of the wires before your done.

Make up all the speaker positives and grounds (matching color with line in it)
yellow to yellow
red to red
for the ground you should ground it to metel bracket somewhere under the dash.
Jeep_addict

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't catch anyone say this but the problem could be the ground. The jeep ground is not in the harness. This would cause the stereo to ground by another means and it could cause the lights to act funny. I always use the harness adapters and have installed 20-30 now without any problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: