Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: RECALL Reply with quote

I read a article about a recall on trannys in ZJs... I guess there`s a flat spot between park and reverse and feels like it`s in park but it rolls away... what does the dealer replace ? I bought mine used so I never knew. so I called the dealer and they took my VIN # and looked up the history and told me it had not been fixed yet. I know dealer mechanics hate doing warranty work and always a quick half ass job when they do.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this is the recall you're talking about:
Auburn Hills, Mich - Feb 14, 2002 - The Chrysler Group today announced it will recall 1993-1998 Jeep® Grand Cherokees in North America to resolve concerns related to inadvertent movement in these vehicles and help ensure safe vehicle operation. The recall will involve the installation of a secondary detent system to be placed on the floor shifter mechanism to help ensure drivers fully engage their vehicles in park.

"The investigation did not identify any defect in the vehicle. The Chrysler Group believes this action will resolve all concerns and close the investigation," said Matt Reynolds, Director of Safety Compliance. "Although there are several ways for Jeep Grand Cherokee owners to assure their vehicle is in park, this improvement will provide one more way to assist customers by making it more difficult for a driver to fail to put the gear shifter fully in park."

Current generation Jeep Grand Cherokees are not affected by this recall since the Grand Cherokee had an all-new design when it was introduced for the 1999 model year. The data analyzed in the investigation revealed a distinct difference in vehicles built from 1993-1998 and those built thereafter.

"We have been working diligently with NHTSA on this investigation and wanted to alert owners of a resolution as soon as one was identified," said Reynolds. "Customers will shortly be notified by mail about the recall."

In the meantime, drivers can be assured their vehicle is in park by performing any one of the following:

Ensure that the color indicator is in the "P" position, which indicates the vehicle is in Park

Listen for an audible "click" when the shift lever moves into the Park position

Ensure that the shift button releases from the indented position to the extended position when the vehicle is in Park

Feel for the lever to reach an "end point" when it has reached the end of its movement, indicating that it is in Park. Remove the key from the ignition when exiting the vehicle to ensure it is in Park

Recalls are different than warranty work - they're mandated by the feds. If a particular mechanic does a halfass job, well that's another story.
Nothing to see here.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Dealer mechanics get paid the same per hour for work done whether it is warranty, recall, or other. So they should not hate doing recall work nor do half assed job.

2. You should try to find a 5 star dealer to do you recall work. They rely on good customer service to maintain their 5 star status. If you are not satisfied with the work performed on your GC then you can complain to Jeep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: