Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

95 Grand Cherokee Spare Tire

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
haroldhansen

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: 95 Grand Cherokee Spare Tire Reply with quote

I purchased this 4.0 with quadra-trac and it did not have a spare. The owners manual indicates there was a temp spare available but a local tire store told me not to run one because it will ruin my "axle" if I have to use it. I would like to save some internal space with a temp spare but not if it should not be run if needed. Anyone have any data as to whether this will or will not hame the vehicle.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would try to find the same size tire for what is on your jeep now but instead of full size look for a narrow one,

that would be the only way 2 run a "temp" spare without harming it.
OnAll4s

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 95 Grand Cherokee Spare Tire Reply with quote

haroldhansen wrote:
...The owners manual indicates there was a temp spare available but a local tire store told me not to run one because it will ruin my "axle" if I have to use it. ...

If I remember correctly, the 93-95 Quadratrac models came standard with the full size spare. I think the full size spare was only an option on the other models. Maybe the axle issue is why?

Sometimes I wonder what I could do with all that extra real estate in back if I didn't have that spare back there, but heck, I've gotten used to it over the years.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A get-me-home will do just that, get you home. In a pinch it's better than nothing, but a full size spare is better to have. You'd be able to drive with the full size as long as you need to and not have to worry about the donut falling off!!! Mr. Green
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the full-size. If you're in the middle of nowhere, the spare will get you home, the donut will get you to the nearest garage.

IMO It's well worth the extra for the full size, and it doesn't take up too much space in the back either.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a full size spare in my jeep... actualy.. its on top, thats how i soled my space issues for my jeep. i have it bunggie corded down tight and i have a cable and pad lock to prvent some one from walking away with it.
589Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too opted for a full size spare - and put it on top.

97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0 with cold air intake, Magnaflow muffler/cat, clear corner and tails, custom tire rack
nori

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget peeps... check the tire pressure on the spare tire also! Very Happy Summer is near so don't let the hot pavement melt away under/over inflated tires into wicked shapes!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nori! Where you been? Very Happy
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a slightly larger than fullsize spare .. rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one question 4 u swampy.....why a larger spare?

i checked ALL my tires PSI 3 days ago
cajzmere

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAAAYYYY larger than stock!, to match the OTHER 4 waaaayyy larger than stock!! What u got now Carl? 36 or 38's? Cool Swampy does everthin' bigger than other people.
TerryCz

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure some of you will get a kick out of this. My 95 ZJ came with the donut spare (seemed half the size of my tires), which, if used for more than a mile or so, could cause serious t-case problems. If previous owners ever used this for very long, it may have contributed to the reason why Im having to repair my t-case.

I use most of the volume in my rig for my carpentry tools and found the spare to always be in the way, or having to move it to a different location to fit particular items in the vehicle. I'm often hauling lumber and not interested in having it mounted to my roof either.

Anyway for 4 years and 70,000 miles I have opted to always have good tires on my rig, and my donut (spare) sits in the garage on a full time basis. I carry a can of fix-a-flat with me and have only needed it once. This has worked out well, even though I lived on gravel/rock roads where it was 30 miles each way to the blacktop, as well as my trail rides to the 13,000 ft. elevations in the Rockies.

Terry
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the other day i saw a JGC that had a swing out tire cartrier on the back.....look for one of those....thats what im gona do....just the other day i had 2 stop in front of a parking structure and pull my spare off the top so i could fit in.

needless 2 say i cursed the parking structure 2 hell and vowed i would never go back rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: