Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEATH WOBBLE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
topsideroyal

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: DEATH WOBBLE Reply with quote

well i went off roading over the weekend and got her stuck pretty good, pics coming soon. (once i learn how to download them) anywho i lost the nut to the lower bolt on my sway bar. so i took the bolt out so i dont also loose that. im think that by not having the bolt in its causeing the wobble, but not to sure? so i guess my question is, is this causeing the wobble? any in put will help. thanks guys
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely it is the cause, if not I'm sure it's not helping!!!
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i some times drive with my quick disconnects disconnected and it drives fine. it has body roll when i take turn, but not death wobble.
i say its something else.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.9 andy wrote:
i some times drive with my quick disconnects disconnected and it drives fine. it has body roll when i take turn, but not death wobble.
i say its something else.

He only has one side discoed!!!
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... when i was up on the north coast of calli up on highway 1 along the coast were were taking turns like sportsters on i endend up shearing the upper swabar bolt on the driver side, and even then i didnt get wobble...why?
kaos

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert, but as I understand it, a disconnected swaybar is unlikely to be the cause of death wobble, but may amplify it. (Or, more properly speaking I suppose, fail to dampen it.)
As to the actual cause, I would take a close look at all the front supsension joints, and in particular the track bar bushings. Tighten if loose, and replace if worn. Oh, and also check your wheels. If they are badly out of balance (for instance if they have large chunks of mud stuck inside the rim) they can cause pretty bad vibration that may be mistaken for a death wobble. (Been there, done that.)

HTH
--
Kári
topsideroyal

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i replaced the sway bar bolt yesterday and sure enough it happened again. what sould i check next. i got underneath it and shuck eveything. it all felt strong and sturdy, all bolts are tight. i was think that maybe i bent a tie rod end or something in my steering or suspenssion. but rember it only happens at higher speeds about 45 and higher. so i also thought that it might be a wheel bearing. any input would help alot thanks guys
Suburbia4X4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience with the DW its a bitch to diagnose and just stupid to deal with. i pretty much replaced every steering component with aftermarket stuff and i still had it. then today i just replaced the ball joints and its all gone! so maybe check out your ball joints, if not id recomend checking the trac-bar bolts, tie rod ends, and alignment.

hope that helps ! Mr. Green
badger

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawybar has nothing to do with death wobble.its either you threw a wheel weight causing a tire/wheel to be out of balance or like said above you have chunks of mud stuck on the rim causing it to be massively out of balance.check that first then start checking things like track bar bushing or for looseness .

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kickeraiwa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my XJ. Had the wobble at high speeds only. I put a new stablizer in and that helped but it dind't go away completely untill all 4 weels were ballanced. good luck
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search this forum for Death wobble.. I have given detailed instructions on how to check you components one by one to look for your cause..

It is normally control arms loose or bushings worn.. or Track bar loose ..

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Death Wobble (luckily) has always been associated with my problematic loose Track Bar Bracket and has been readily identifiable!

It can certainly be a pretty wild experience!

I understand that other failed components (harder to isolate!) may also cause it (severely worn ball joints, tie rod ends etc.)

I would first suggest MAKING SURE any/all recently installed lift or upgrade components are re-tightened/torqued to spec!

And because i am SURE it can cause your problem specifically look at your Track Bar and Bracket!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: