Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooling Improvements?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Cooling Improvements? Reply with quote

My electric cooling fan doesn't work. Whenever I turn on my a/c the engine overheats unless I'm going about 50 mph or faster. How can I improve my cooling system? Summers are hot here in TX and I need to make my XJ run as cool as possible. I'm already planning on getting a high flow thermostat and housing, but I need more ideas.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the fan turning on? When the last time you flushed the cooling system? I would flush before anything else.
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I would do is to upgrade your radiator to a larger capacity 3-core radiator... http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?ac=Y&year=1998&make=JEEP&model=CHEROKEE&submodel=XJ&engine_size=L6%2C4.0L%2C242ci. You can also upgrade your water pump with a Hesco hi-flow unit... http://jeepers.biz/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=45086&catId=7967. The fan clutches on Cherokees are not very reliable, so you might check to make sure it's working properly. If you don't care about losing a little performance you can replace it with a fixed bracket. Make sure that your antifreeze to water ratio is no more than 50/50. Antifreeze does not cool as well as water, so I would mix the liquids to the proper ratio before pouring into your system. There is also this additive called Royal Purple Ice that supposedly helps your system cool more efficiently, but it could just be snake-oil...http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=01600. Another thing is to check your radiator cap and make sure it holds the proper pounds of pressure. The most drastic thing you can do is to replace your mechanical fan with an electric one. There are a few writeups of how to do this on http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/. There is also a writeup on my Cardomain website... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2523112/4. You can also reduce the under hood temperature of your engine compartment by adding some sort of hood cowl/vent. It's expensive, but quadratec sells this one... http://www.quadratec.com/products/55023_003_T.htm. GOJEEP also has write-ups of different options for this.

But most important, if your auxilary electric fan is not working, you need to fix that. If the fan is the problem, make sure you replace your '97 aux. fan with another '97+ style fan. The older fans were straight blade fans that didn't pull as much air. When they redid the Cherokee for '97 they changed the fan to a spiral type blade that pulled more cfm. When mine broke I ordered a new one from parts store, and when it came in it was the older, lower cfm model. So I told them to forget it and had to go get one from the dealer. It wasn't that much more money and I wasn't willing to lose cfm when replacing a broken fan with a new one. Also, check to make sure your temperature sender is sending the proper temp. signals. If it is, check the relay. If all this stuff is funtional, I have heard of people having to replace their computer because it quit sending the proper signals to the auxilary fan. Hopefully that's not your problem. But without your auxilary fan, all of these other upgrades aren't going to keep your engine cool if you are running your air conditioner at lower speeds.

Hope some of these ideas help.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clutch fan works fine. I flushed the radiator about 5 months ago, right after installing a new (oem) rad. The temperature sensor is new, as is the aux. fan relay. I just need better flow through the system and I need to get that damn fan working. It's something electrical between the fan and the relay.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked up my aux. fan to a switch so I can control when its on or off.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you hooked 12v directly to the fan to confirm that it's not the problem?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, make sure it works by testing it on 12v like phantom said, My fan died as well and I put it on a toggle as well. That what when im crawlin on the trails i can flip it on to help cool engine but more importantly, i have the trans cooler in front of the aux fan, so i can cool the trans as well
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the fan is fine I tested it months ago.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrat97 wrote:
Yeah the fan is fine I tested it months ago.

so your saying there is no possibility that it hasn't broken since then , just hot wire it to the battery it will take like 30 seconds .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: