Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

front shake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlowe90xj

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: front shake Reply with quote

when crusing or even at slower speed if i hit a bump the right way the whole front end of my jeep shakes and the steering wheel moves right to left with the shake. i have to pull over and stop to make it stop. what is the problem im new to the jeep thing so any help would be great
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got Death Wobble! Get underneath and check all steering and suspension components in front. Grab and wiggle, if anything is loose tighten, if it's broke or worn replace it.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first replace the steering stabilizer - shit i suck at spelling sorry- if that doesnt solve it then as mentioned tighten every bolt on front suspention to spec check your u joints and if it still persists it may be track bar... good luck it was just the stabilizer for me but everyones death wobble isnt the same
badger

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technically you shouldn't have to have a steering stabilizer at all if every thing is working correctly.chances are your lower track bar bushing is shot or the hole that the bolt passes through is oblonged and is allowing the movement of the axle side to side.

good way of checking the track bar is to have two people .one person sits in the car and turns the wheel back and forth rapidly while the other looks at all the steering components and track bar mounting location .if you see the track bar move even the slightest bit side to side then its time to start replacing parts on it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Track Bar!

I was lucky enough to discover my Death Wobble experience was a loose track bar! (After I cleaned my shorts!!!!)

Was easy enough to diagnose when I stopped immediately on side of highway. I grabbed trackbar and wiggled and it moved! Some folks have to battle to determine the faulty component/s.

Guess they mean it when they suggest you re-tightened all lift components shortly after the install and its been driven a while!

I now understand fully why they say that!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
first replace the steering stabilizer - shit i suck at spelling sorry- if that doesnt solve it then as mentioned tighten every bolt on front suspention to spec check your u joints and if it still persists it may be track bar... good luck it was just the stabilizer for me but everyones death wobble isnt the same

Before you replace the steering dampener like suggested above, tighten everything. A bad steering dampener does not cause death wobble. It's really just a band-aid to bigger problems.

What modifications have you made to your Jeep? Anything done recently??? Possibly at the same time you developed the DW????

Start by tightening everything in your front end and checking for any worn parts or bushings. If there's anything worn, replace it. Pay a lot of attention to your front trackbar. Tighten the frame and axle trackbar mounts. When you think they're tight, tighten them some more.

Then get back to us.
jlowe90xj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have any mods yet it needs a whole new cooling system, and fix the death wobble. i tightened everything but as you said the track bars on the drivers side were shot. thanks for all the help.
kickeraiwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my fisrt time visiting this site and you guys already helped me out thanks. I came on here trying to find out what was causing the same problem for me.
Chowski28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same problem when i lifted my jeep and took it on the highway. Getting a new steering stabilizer will help, but like everyone else said, make sure everything is tight and in good shape
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: