Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

As my user names states... I'm looking for a Jeep for Cheap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEEPFORCHEAP

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: As my user names states... I'm looking for a Jeep for Cheap Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking for an 86+ Jeep Cherokee for cheap, but don't know where to draw the line as far as mileage goes. I'm kind'a looking at this one, but the 224k worries me a bit. I heard some go well into the 300+k miles?

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?uid=77016419&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=300114941379&lk=URL

How much would it cost to put a new drivetrain in? Could a shadetree mechanic pull it off? If you could post any link online for a good deal on a Jeep, I'd appreciate it. Very Happy

Greg

Last edited by JEEPFORCHEAP on Mon May 28, 2007 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would shoot for a 91+ for the 4.0L HO

i put in a new drive train (engine , tranny , t-case , and both axles ) for 300$ but you wont be able to get that deal .

my old engine had 300 000 miles on it and was still going strong , it just had 30 lbs less compression in the first cylinder . the transmission was fine and the t-case just blew the chain but was easily fixed .

you could pull it off , the hardest part is lifting the transmission in . i did it the hard way with the t-case on . me and my dad sorta just muscled it in because the floor jack decided to blow its packing .

you will also need an engine lift they are only about 100$

your ebay link doesn't work .
JEEPFORCHEAP

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
i would shoot for a 91+ for the 4.0L HO

i put in a new drive train (engine , tranny , t-case , and both axles ) for 300$ but you wont be able to get that deal .

my old engine had 300 000 miles on it and was still going strong , it just had 30 lbs less compression in the first cylinder . the transmission was fine and the t-case just blew the chain but was easily fixed .

you could pull it off , the hardest part is lifting the transmission in . i did it the hard way with the t-case on . me and my dad sorta just muscled it in because the floor jack decided to blow its packing .

you will also need an engine lift they are only about 100$

your ebay link doesn't work .

Thanks for the info...

I'm going to see if I can check this Jeep out today, and take her for a spin. I'll see what the hesitation might be about. Would a clogged cat do that, or would that be something much more serious? I guess I'll wait to ask until I have more info.

Thanks for the info... I'd much rather do an upgraded swap vs. a stock replacement. Any build threads on that topic?

Thanks again!
JEEPFORCHEAP

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Fixed Link>
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upgrade would be a 4.7L stroker and dana 44's

hesitation could be a clogged cat or dirty throttle body , bad plugs , cap , rotor , clogged injectors . the list goes on .

probably a dirty oily throttle body
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh i see its a 4 banger , well its good if you leave it stock just don't expect to throw big tires on it and a lift and still have any power .

it says it has a new short block , so the engine is only 15 km old . acording to the seller .

valve cover gasket is easy to fix . the pcv might be clogged as well .
JEEPFORCHEAP

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test drove that Ebay Jeep... The hesitation doesn't seem TOO bad. It looks and feels like a solid vehicle all around. The steering does feel a little loose showing its age, but not too bad. The speakers sound great with the CD player. If any of you are interested in it, I can answer anything specific you're wondering about, but you can contact the seller as well. He's a pretty cool guy. The reason I'm telling you guys is that I'm going to look for a cheap 6cyl Grand Cherokee. I'd like to eventually lift it, and take it off-road. If any of you have one for sale, let me know!

And thanks for the info!
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I STRONGLY agree with brad, get a post 91 so u can get the EFI 4.0

then u can do that stroker kit if u want, i dont know how much it cost, but my buddy looked into it for curiosity's sake and he found that the stroker kit for the 4.0 gave it about 270 horses.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pre 91 is efi , after is just more efficient .
JEEPFORCHEAP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.9 andy wrote:
I STRONGLY agree with brad, get a post 91 so u can get the EFI 4.0

then u can do that stroker kit if u want, i dont know how much it cost, but my buddy looked into it for curiosity's sake and he found that the stroker kit for the 4.0 gave it about 270 horses.

Thanks for the info. When I was driving the 4cyl on the Ebay link, I was thinking that it could use another couple cylinders... I should have been thinking it needed twice the cylinders. But I guess that's why that Jeep got such great gas mileage.

Just FYI, there's 12ish hours left on that auction, and it seems stuck at $785. If I didn't know how much it was going to cost for the Jeep I'd want... I'd get it just for fun, or even parts?

Thanks everyone for your help... I'm test driving a V8 version this afternoon!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 would be a grand cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: