Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros and Cons of Rubicon Express Vs. Rough Country 4.5"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Pros and Cons of Rubicon Express Vs. Rough Country 4.5" Reply with quote

I'm relatively new here, but I've done a lot of reading, many of you guys have the rough country kits and like them for the money, but recommend Rubicon Express if money allows. Just wondering why the RE is so highly recommended over the rough country, even though the RE does'nt come with shocks. I've learned the hard way in the past that most things in the automotive industry follow the "you get what you pay for" saying. So I thought I ask you guys again to throw some knowledge/experience my way.

It's about a $200-$400 difference from the Rough Country 4.5" lift, and the RE 4.5" lift. Also what else might need to be done to the XJ besides suspension i.e. drive shaft....... Thanks
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on no one has an opinion on these two suspensions? I'm sorry if it is a dumb question, but I want to know the real differences........
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id have to say you are paying for durability and actual lift height. the RE is usually under rated so 4.5 = closer to 5 and other brands such as rancho sky jacker rough country usually are the opposite... 4.5 being when you put it on and it settling to 4, 3.75. RE makes lifts and components JUST for jeeps.. so that says something about who makes it and who tests the products.. i would never put anything else on any of my jeeps pay the extra loot and buy right buy once

just my 2 cents rough country very well MAY be close to as good... as strong? doubt it
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops double post Embarassed

Last edited by DankNesS on Mon May 28, 2007 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
id have to say you are paying for durability and actual lift height. the RE is usually under rated so 4.5 = closer to 5 and other brands such as rancho sky jacker rough country usually are the opposite... 4.5 being when you put it on and it settling to 4, 3.75. RE makes lifts and components JUST for jeeps.. so that says something about who makes it and who tests the products.. i would never put anything else on any of my jeeps pay the extra loot and buy right buy once

just my 2 cents rough country very well MAY be close to as good... as strong? doubt it

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to hear, I'd rather buy from a company that specializes in one particular brand, which RE does.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE makes lifts for other makes than jeep as well, and Im running the rough country kit. Im sittin at 4.5 inches with the AAL version on an 87 xj, and a bowed main leaf. On top of that I abused the lift royally at big dogs, it performed well and I was extremely surprised at what this kit does for the money
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they also do ford lift kits.... BUT RE definately specializes in Jeeps.

i do think for the price rough country sounds very good
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE all the way!
Glowyrm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Rusty's 3.5" in mine and had to rebuild it already so I don't suggest that route. Remember you get what you pay for.
31x10.5's
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone keeps telling me that RE kits are underrated and will provide more lift than advertised. So how much lift will the RE 5.5" kit provide, 6" or 6.5"?? The reason why I ask is because Rusty's 6.5" LA kit advertises that they can fit 35x12.5, while the RE 5.5" either SA or LA says 33x12.5 will also fit. And to make things more confusing the Rough Country 6.5" lift kit says it will allow 35x12.5 tires, so what is the true heights of Rusty's 6.5, RE's 5.5, and Rough Country's 6.5" kits? By looking around if RE suggests a 33x12.5 at most, then it's probably not a true 6.5" in the end, probably closer to 6", but I wanted your opinions, thanks
whlstnd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the most part add an inch to what RE says the lift is. they recemend a smaller tire because they flex more than most others so you cant fit as much of a tire.
mike
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what he said.. id say rough country is prolly like 6-5.5 id even be willing to bet RE's 5.5 is higher then bough of the other after they all settle. my 31x10.5's had slight rubbage in the front on my RE 3.5 kit till i did some cutn and grindn... but i also have WAY more articulation then a friend on 4.5 skyjacker and 33's..
redzjon31's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go witht he RE i have heard nothing but good things about them. If you are going long arm i would def choose RE over Rough Country. And yeah the coils and packs are underrated you will be sitting about.5-1" higher than stated. I dont have RE but i would love to get their LA kit. And depends on where or who you order it from you can find a good deal. I know some people who specialize in RE kits so i know they can get you a great price get oa price quoted from your source and i will give you the info for the guy who i have heard of and see who has the better price.!!
DelmarvaXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redzjon31's wrote:
I would go witht he RE i have heard nothing but good things about them. If you are going long arm i would def choose RE over Rough Country. And yeah the coils and packs are underrated you will be sitting about.5-1" higher than stated. I dont have RE but i would love to get their LA kit. And depends on where or who you order it from you can find a good deal. I know some people who specialize in RE kits so i know they can get you a great price get oa price quoted from your source and i will give you the info for the guy who i have heard of and see who has the better price.!!

Thanks man
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all matter of how u wheel to....if ur a weekend junkie and jeepin is ur every weeking activity go RE but if u have a life and kidsand wife a full time job and you fish and golf and the only time u can wheel is once every month or even less go rough country.....RE kit is supurior but for somewho whose cherokee is a daily driver i did the black diamond 3.5 " instead of the RE6035 3.5" because of price... i did spend the 600 of the RE but got blackdiamondXT shocks with it....

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: