Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

91 Laredo- Starts then immdediately dies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndyMatt

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: 91 Laredo- Starts then immdediately dies Reply with quote

This Jeep has the following:

New Fuel Pump
New Fuel Regulator
New Plugs
New Wires
Fuel Pump Relay

It has been running fine. I don't drive it often. I started it last week and it ran fine. I went to start it on Friday and the battery was too low. I charged the battery and tried to start again. It turns over fine and actually fires up as it normally does however, the moment I release the key from the start position, it dies. All other accessories work as designed. The fuel pump comes on when the key is turned and shuts off as normal when pressure builds. There is no increase in time for pressure build.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the IAC needs a cleaning?
IndyMatt

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I feel silly. I fixed the problem for which this post was started. I cleaned the IAC...still the same thing. Then it dawned on me...the security light had started to flash when the battery went dead. I reset it with the key in the door and the Jeep now starts BUT...only when I give it a little throttle. It will no longer idle. Won't even think about idling. It runs great as long as I give it just a bit of gas.

Thoughts? Could I have screwed up the IAC?
Glowyrm

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that the disc on the valve is not free rotating. There is a grove cut in it for the spring to lock into. I had a replacment on that wasn't locked in the grove, and it rotated, therefore closing the valve all the time. If it is messed up, the solution is to move it in increments till the correct idle speed is held. Caution: not very difficult, but PITA. IM me if you got questions.
31x10.5's
IndyMatt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glowyrm wrote:
Make sure that the disc on the valve is not free rotating. There is a grove cut in it for the spring to lock into. I had a replacment on that wasn't locked in the grove, and it rotated, therefore closing the valve all the time. If it is messed up, the solution is to move it in increments till the correct idle speed is held. Caution: not very difficult, but PITA. IM me if you got questions.

I guarantee this is the problem! The disc (the sleeve) does rotate. I'll tinker with it later today and report back.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: