Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Sensitive Power Assist Steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubfro

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Speed Sensitive Power Assist Steering Reply with quote

Anyone have this problem? I'm driving along everythings fine. I slow to turn in my driveway and have to two arm the wheel like I'm turning an old mac truck with no power steering. I'm pretty sure it's the pump but finding one anywhere but the steelership ($402.00 no way) is not easy. The local parts store claims i have to take the solenoid off and install it on the new one. I don't see how it can seperate from the old pump. Can I get a regular pump and just bypass it all together? I disconnected the plug from the solenoid and I don't get any engine codes. Anyone tried this? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would fer sure help to know what year and model your Jeep is? I'm assuming Grand, but...... let us know. Sounds like it could be something as simple as a slipping belt or something as full blown as a bad pump. I know the speed sensitive steering on other Chrysler products have had issues. Check the TSB list here
http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/
Good luck
vdubfro

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was being nagged to leave the house by the ol' lady when i was typing that out. It's a 96 GC 4.0 I6. It's been progressively getting worse over the last year. If I leave the house in the morning, drive to work, get off the highway (6 miles on the highway) there is a loud whine. I can't say for sure if it's the pump cause by the time I get to the shop from the off ramp it stops. Same on the trip home. Once it's warmed up though it stops.
Glowyrm

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiot check the fluid level and condition first. Low level and/or air in system will do the same thing.
31x10.5's
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt loose??? Air in system .. Or low on fluid .. All of those will do what you are describing..

Good luck...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cajzmere

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the whine happen when you're turning the wheel, or when you're idling, or all the time? If it's just when you're turning the wheel check the steering gear too. If it whines even if you're just sitting without turning the wheel, it's gotta be the pump or belt.(as long as the fluid is ok)
vdubfro

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fluid is ok. the belt is new. and tight. the whine occures when sitting at idle. if it' warm and sitting still the steering is stiff and once past nine o'clock will rapidly click unless i give it some more rpm's. my main concern was the speed sensitive solenoid on the pump. When i tried to get a replacement pump none have that solenoid assembly on them. is the assembly able to be transfered to the new pump or can i just bypass it and run the high pressure side directly into the new pump.

I know i'm new here but I've browsed through the forums for a couple years now and usually find all the advice i could ever need. I've yet to find anything on this topic. I don't feel i need to be called an idiot by a newbie that registered here 2 months before i did. I've been working on tractors, cars, trucks, motorcycles, ect. for about twenty years now and i am looking to fix the problem not throw parts at it. I rather learn from others experience than my own failures. So shove your idiot comment up your ....

87 XJ Pioneer 4.0
ax15 swap
NP231
5 1/2" lift
33x12.50
Rust
Dents

96 ZJ Limited 4.0
3 1/2" lift
NP242 swap
3 1/2" lift
31x10.50

I have three other vehicle. Do I need to list them all?
Glowyrm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy buddy. No offence was offered. To me, an idiot check is anything that gets overlooked, that makes you feel like an idiot later. Example; "My cig. lighter is not working." "Did you idiot check the fuse?" "Yup, fuse is good. What do I check next?"

As for Noob, I may have been here for only two months, but, like you, I've lurked here for two years. And to my technical skills, I have been working on larger and more complex equipment for the past decade.

I'm not here to piss in people Cheerios. Now this will be a general statement not directed at anyone in particular. Sacrcasim and a joking tone do not pass thru the internet. I wish people could understand that, before angry words get passed. If i wish to insult anyone, I will go out of my way to make sure that the person I'm insulting knows it and won't mistake it for anything else.

Sorry for the hijack. thanks
31x10.5's
vdubfro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I C "idiot check" not "hey you are an idiot" gotcha. Sorry.

So if anyone has run into this speed sensitive b.s. plz let me know. I don't know what's wrong with good old fashion power steering. Worked great for half a century or better so why change a good thing? It also must've been a half year change on the 96 ZJ's they don't show it as an option in the parts store computers for 96 only 97 and up.

Again I know the pumps screwed the pooch. I just want to replace it. The stealership said $402.00 for what they know is the correct pump. If i can get a regular pump and make it work and save some bucks that would be great. I may be the first to try this. If so I'll let everyone know what I find out.

Thanks.
cajzmere

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give a standard pump a shot. Hit the bonyeard and find one on the cheap. If it doesn't work at least then you know it doesn't work. Gotta be less than $402 from the frickin' dealership. What's gonna be the difference? Will you not have "speed sensitive steering"? OH NO! Like you said, what was wrong with old fashioned power steering? I bet you won't even feel the difference. I drove a friend's Lincoln once with the speed sensitive steering and I couldn't tell. Let us know how it went!
vdubfro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hitting a couple boneyards in the A.M. I need a 242 console bezel. Looking for the pump and some other stuff. Hopefully I'll find a 4 cylinder XJ and gets me some axles for my 87 XJ. 4.10's would be nice. Especially after I swap in the 93 H.O. Twisted Evil Anyway I'll be posting before too long.

Thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the looking for 4cyl.. Hope you find one..

Make sure you check the tag and make sure it has 4:11's ..

A guy I know came home from the junkyard with a set of 3:55 axles that he pulled from a 4 banger...

rofl rofl rofl

And if you are inclined to do some welding ... Peep around for an Eddie Bauer Explorer the 8.8 in those had 4:11's..

That would make a good strong combo..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vdubfro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the boneyard yesterday and scored pretty good. I got a steering pump out of a 98 V8 limited. I also found a trailer wiring adapter in the same Jeep. I got a 4WD shifter bezel for my 242 out of another V8ZJ (which had a 242 laying on the ground in front of it. Looks like someone pulled it and got a surprise so they left it. Must have been expecting a 249. They shoulda took it anyway.) and I got a piece of body molding for my drivers side front fender that a deer decided he liked more than me on New Years Eve. I gave $50.00 for the pump and $15.00 for all the other stuff. That trailer wiring adapter alone is over $100.00. So good score for me. I took the pump to my buddies and switched the pulleys around. V8 pulley was alot bigger. Installed the pump then proceeded to break the nipple for the return line off. So I pulled it back out and switched the reservoirs around. Put it back in and bled the system. Nice to have power again! Drives like a new Jeep!

They had a 4 banger XJ there and they want $250 a piece for the axles. It was 91 degrees and about 90% humidity here yesterday so I didn't even bother trying to crawl under there to read the tags. I was spent just pulling the pump. Wasn't sure if that was a decent price for those axles or not.

Anyway thanks for the advice guys!
cajzmere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE! It always feels to get good parts cheap! Can u tell the difference between speed sensitive and not? Your welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: