Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soft top questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Soft top questions Reply with quote

I have a couple questions on the top. I just baught a Jeep soft top at a yard sale for $100. and is almost brand new. The lady has a 06 and only had the top on for a few months then baught a hard top and didn't know anyone that needed a top, so she stored it in her basement.

The only thing that wrong is, one of the cloth straps that are rivited to the front bow is not attached. it looks like strap was pulled from the rivits, but is not torn. What affect will this have on the top?
I was thinking of drilling out the rivits and screwing the strap down with washers to prevent this from happening again

The other thing my top has tinted windows, the new ones are not. has anyone tinted the soft windows with the spray tint? if so any tip or tricks?

Thanks Guys and Gals...

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tint isn't going to work. The film or the spray will come off.

As far as the straps, I can't think of any straps on the front bow. The straps that I can think of are on the rear bow and are used to hold the rolled up window. If these are the straps you're asking about and you don't have them, it's no big deal. Remove the window rather than rolling it up. This is a better method anyway as it preserves the clarity of the soft window.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straps are about 1 1/2 inch wide and are above the side windows, they run from the mid bow to the rear bow.
I don't see a difference between one side or the other with the strap not being attached to the mid bow, but the top went on with no problems and doesn‘t seem to affect it.
I noticed a few subtle differences between the two tops.
The new top doesn't seem as tight as the original. I went to put the rear window "tabs" in and it almost seems like it's to long, in fact all the windows fit loose. not to the point where going to fly out when driving, they were just easy.
It also sits about an inch higher above the speaker/dome light, the old one touched to where you could see the outline of the speaker thru the top.
Also there are snaps on the rear bow for the rear window roll up straps. The old one I had to string the straps between the bow and the top, and the straps I have don't have snaps.

I'm use to the rear window being difficult to operate and the top fitting tight. The side windows have always worked fine but the Velcro was exposed because of the tightness of the top. Maybe there was something wrong with the old top that I’am not aware of and this top is the way it should be.
Did DC make a change to the top at some point, because it looks a little different too?

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
The straps are about 1 1/2 inch wide and are above the side windows, they run from the mid bow to the rear bow.

Ahh...that strap. That strap limits the separation of the middle and rear bows. It also gives some shape to the corner of the top between the top and side...it gives the top that curve.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from driving my Jeep at freeway speed, and the top is loose. The side window did seperate from the body at the bottom tab. Also when I turned on the A/C, all the bulged out about three inches.
Is there anything I can do to tighten up the top?
I know someone posted a while ago about replacing the plastic bow ends with alum ones and it helped tighted things up.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
I just got back from driving my Jeep at freeway speed, and the top is loose. The side window did seperate from the body at the bottom tab. Also when I turned on the A/C, all the bulged out about three inches.
Is there anything I can do to tighten up the top?
I know someone posted a while ago about replacing the plastic bow ends with alum ones and it helped tighted things up.

I'm going with two things.

First, the plastic ends may be bending and need replacement. The aluminum ones are nice and tight. They will take and play out of the joint and tighten up the top a little bit.

Second, how is the top material attached to the windshield header? The material is screwed to the plastic header, then folds back over itself, wraps around the plastic windshield header, and then finally lays on the mid and rear bows. If not installed correctly, the material will be loose.
blktrax

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the diffrence in the 97 to 02 model tops vs. the 03 to 06 tops. The 03 to 06 ones are slightly taller in the back.

I put an 01 model top on my 03 and it was EXTREMLY tight but it worked. So the other should be Loose. A wheeling partner had the same issue new top old truck, his solution was some PVC pipe between the roll bars over the seats. looked like )------------------( a lil bit long so it bent in an arch to take up the slack.

Those Bow straps you were reffering, the length is critical because they distribute tension beteeen the bows and how that shapes the top when stressed.
dsgodda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's normal for your soft top windows to bulge when your HVAC system is on the fresh air setting. If you put move your switch to recirculate, your soft windows will suck in toward the center of the Jeep. Personally, I find the windows are more quiet when they're bulging out rather than sucked in.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, the windows are so loose, that when the windows bulgethey also slide out from the bottom.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ Apex wrote:
The thing is, the windows are so loose, that when the windows bulgethey also slide out from the bottom.

ehirner wrote:
I'm going with two things.

First, the plastic ends may be bending and need replacement. The aluminum ones are nice and tight. They will take and play out of the joint and tighten up the top a little bit.

Second, how is the top material attached to the windshield header? The material is screwed to the plastic header, then folds back over itself, wraps around the plastic windshield header, and then finally lays on the mid and rear bows. If not installed correctly, the material will be loose.

Did you try these???
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the plastic bow ends and rotated them 180 deg. and redrilled them 1/4 inch lower, and that helped a little. I havent tried checking the header yet. But what gets me is the body and top thing mentioned earler. I do understand that different years TJs may have different tops, but the body remained the same for 9 years. what would the difference be?

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-attached the strap that runs along the side window and doing that seems to have helped tighten things up.
I looked at the header and it looks as though the sail cloth is attached with plastic push in keepers that are one time use only. And there are fewer of them. My old top uses them across the entire length of the header, and the new one only has two on the ends and two in the middle.
There are two screws on the very ends of the header, but I'm not sure how that will tighten the top up.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: