Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

transmition problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: transmition problem Reply with quote

Hi, can any one help, i have a 2000 model grand Cherokee 4.0L, for the last week when i do around 55 to 60 it seems to drop down a gear & back up again, now i have lost overdrive no o/d light on dash , i have also noticed a clonk when it goes into 3rd gear, have checked the transmission fluid & that is OK, looked underneath & can see oil has been coming out the rear shaft on the transfer box, this may or may not have anything to do with it but i thought i would mention it, pleas help anyone Crying or Very sad
wan2live

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No codes?
mark Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i don't have a code reader, the engine check light is on
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its leaking fluid be sure to check the level in the transfer case, there should be two big bolts, and its possible they could be allen head. The upper bolt is for filling the lower is to drain the case. Take the upper bolt out, while on level ground, if fluid comes out your in the green, if no fluid comes out, add some auto trans fluid until it starts to run out.

as for the trans, mopar has been known to have crappy torque converters. I lost O/d in my grand and it was because of the torque converter.

unfortunately the only way to check is to remove the trans, go through it, and then have the converter checked.

But you do have a check engine light so I would first take it to a dealer to see if they can pull any thing up on it
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn those computers!! pissed
mark Anthony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i just got a code reader & have 9 codes come up, 0181, 0600,0089,2300,0123,3100,8106,0031,310a, some are in the code book but 310a,8106,0600 are not included, i think they are all linked to the pcm as i think all the censors would not fail at once ? also its some times runs erratically when started, when i turn it of then back on again it runs ok
mark Anthony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Grand Cherokee has built in fault code reader Reply with quote

DOH!, just found out i don't need a OBD 2 code reader, my Cherokee has one built in, just had to turn the ignition on & off 3 times without starting the motor, then the fault code is displayed on the mileometer, LOL, the only code that came up was P0123, ( throttle position sensor ) sensor was OK but the wires has rubbed on the manifold & earthed out rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: