Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not starting.. damn oh damn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Not starting.. damn oh damn Reply with quote

well after a lil wheeling trip yesturday -that i cut short cuz my battery levels were a lil lower then normal and my RPMs were very low for normal at idle as well... i shut her off a few times waitn to hit an obsticle and it would take a lot of cranking to get her started so i bailed out early wich was seriously the best thing i could have ever done. On the road home which is only like 3 miles away my check engine light came on... well i made it home and checked the code got 32- which is an EGR problem.. after like 10 min i went to move it so i can disconnect the EGR valve and clean it.. but it started putterd and died.. then it wouldnt start at all.... i started it this morning and it came to life just to die insantainiously- im sorry i spell so horribly it has never been something i really cared much about- i directly tried to start her up and nadda... SO this is my concern... this behavior kinda sounds like a fuel pump problem but i dont know how vital the EGR is.. would th EGR shut my vehicle down? should i start by switching the egr solinoid? im also concerned cause it may be a sensor like IAC or MAP. im really at a loss as to where to start. any insight would be very cool. thanks
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got my junk to start of course i couldnt keep it going at all.. i used TB cleaner instead of gas since i didnt have any gas handy.. this might have been a mistake cuz i sprayed the tb good started it and tried to run out and spray more to keep it going.. kinda worked but not so much.... so i sprayed the tb again and started it just to have it die by the time i ran out and i saw a lil bit of black smoke come from the back of the tb where the IAC plugs in... fukn great just my luck. im really hoping i dont need a new IAC motor, EGR, AND a new fuel pump.. son of a snitch! im so lucky this shit didnt start on the trial but damn i hate it.. not to mention i cant find a fuel pressure tester anywhere for loan or rent. and i am sure as hell not paying 50 bones to buy one even though i should.
so hows your day going? Finger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my jeep broke down the other day as well the dam ground strap broke and i didn't notice out in the bush so i changed the fuel pump and then it still didn't work so i hot wired the fuel pump got it home and first thing i noticed was the dam ground strap was broken , put on a foot of 3 gauge and wala the thing worked like a dream . the only reason I'm saying my story is because you said your battery levels were low as well on the gauge but was fine on my multimeter (hence a ground problem) so maybe check some grounds .

i doubt egr would shut your vehicle off .

my jeep was doing the exact same thing yours was .

for your spelling , the firefox browser has a built in spell check . so maybe check it out if you want
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the idea.. im getting a lil buzz in my speakers ONLY when the engine is running, so a ground isnt a bad idea at all... where exactly is the ground "strap"? what all should i check? the ones for my 2 amps and power cap shouldnt be a problem should it? or my e fan solinoid under the hood? let me know what to check if ya could cus i hate replacing shit that isnt broke!

thanks but im good on the spell check... i dont want to waist (<----- see it wont fix my awful grammer anyway) about 43,800 secounds a year on using the spell check... thats 730 minutes almost half a day of my life! now thats time me and my family just cant get back. of course thats if i post 4 times a day and using the spell check only 30 secounds a post rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after re-reading your post i think the ground strap is in connection with the fuel pump right? im assuming since you hot wired your yeeps fuel pump that the ground for the pump its self came off? my fingers are crossed cus free fixes = more upgrades Twisted Evil
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your ground strap should go from the back of your engine to the firewall right under the back of the hood , its a metal braid .

the fuel pump has a dedicated ground and power , i just ran ground to the - of the bat and power the the + put in a 25 amp fuse just because and a connector were i could pull them apart to shut the pump off when i wasn't running the vehicle .

a bad ground will make stuff sorta flicker maybe or work odd like your temp gauge could read 100 over the end of the gauge .
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do of course appreciate the idea and i will definately look into it.. i just dont think it could be the problem "all of a sudden" i mean it is possible with sice i was wheeln it coulda busted loose but i dont think that would explain why it started when i sprayed TB cleaner in the TB... that kinda points at the pump.... im also thinkn a bad pump might trigger the EGR into tripping the code 32 and could definatel explain low idle which leads to low battery level... thanks again tho.. i guess i need to test the pressure which ill do 2marrow and go from there
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get under it and pull off the fuel line going into the fuel filter, from the tank. Turn the key forward to the on position, the pump should shoot fuel right away. If not, try to start and see if it shoots. That's a good way to tell if the pump is working. Be ready if it is working there will be a lot of gas, so have a towel or bucket.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the body ground was broken the pump would sorta work but not fully .

you might need a new pump , did you check for power with a test light or multimeter ? orange's idea is probably the fastest .
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i went out and tried oranges idea. i was by myself so i wasnt able to get a good look at it BUT i unpluged the out put of the fuel filter and some gas dripped out- seemed to be mainly comming from the fuel line not the filter. i put some tp over the out put of the filter turned the key to on positinon and it was still there.
so i started it- which it of course died immediately... for some reason after she sits for a while itll come to life for half a secound then die.. then it just plain wont start if i keep trying.
i went and observed the tp and it was still in place and i dont think it got any more gas on it then what it picked up from the little bit that dripped out...
it should be peeing it out in a stream when started right? it sure feels like it when i watch a 1/2 tank get eaten in no time when its driveable.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad what fuel pump did you get? oem? they want like 200 give or take depending on the place for one... where online i can get an MSD one for like 100.. i called my local speed store and the man there said they were crap and id be better off stock... i was gonna do the swampy bypass but im having trouble finding fuel rails off of a 96+ ZJ.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you can do the Swampy Bypass without the new fuel rails if you need to do it right away..

Let me step in here and help you.. Pull the electric plug off the fuel pump and hook a wire straight from Battery (+) to the positive on the fuel pump (it wont hurt if you hook the wrong one ) (Do this with the fuel filter off) IF fuel sprays out your pump is good .. If it does not .. .............
I think you get the picture..

Also .. Now is good time to change your filter unless I missed that part in an earlier post..(Which is possible I only skim read..)

Post up and let us know what you find..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the pump is shot, mine did the same thing and when I checked it only trickled. I heard the pump whirling away but it wasn't pumping. I've got the MSD pump without the newer fuel rail. It runs great, but the pump is f*@#ing loud! I changed two in-tank fuel pumps before I got sick of paying over $200 every time. The MSD was like $90 and I've never regretted it. Even though you couldn't see the line, the tp would've been gone and fuel everywhere if the pump was working.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my pump was free i had one laying around its just a oem Bosch one , my pump didn't die though it was just a wiring problem .
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think im gonna do the swampy bypass like mentioned... i dont need new rails right away, im guessing that will just allow me to run a lil higher psi? id still need a regulator correct? what PSI do i regulate it to? - they are adjustable right? im debating on going with the ford e2000 5.0 pump it pushes 55 psi and they are easy to get a hold of... i ordered an msd pump from some shit hole speed place a few weeks back, but they had to give me my money back the other day cause of some BS with their distributer... blah blah
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: