Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tail gate hinges

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wranglerRyan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: tail gate hinges Reply with quote

My tail gate hinges are looking pretty rough and i figured me and my buddy would take them off and paint them. i figured they'd be tough so i used a impact drive and the right torx bit and those things will not come loose. i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what they did and if there is some trick to do it. i just dont know any other option other than drilling the bolts out. My buddy works at an auto repair shop and both of us are puzzed. So if you can help let me know.
THANKS!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penetrating spray! Let them soak with repeated sraying for a couple days and then try again.
wranglerRyan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have soaked those bad boys for a couple of months. its been a daily thing. i new they were bad. i just could not believe my impact driver could not get those things cracked loose. i have changed rusty rotors on cars and the impact driver still cracks them bolts loose. so today i justed ended up drilling them out. Now comes the fun part.....tapping. and i will be replacing them with stainless bolts.

But i still would like to know if anyone has done this kind of projected before and if they have ran into the same problem as myself.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could of used a breaker bar with a snipe on it instead . i have broken 1" bolts just with a ratchet and a snipe ( it might of been a 1" ratchet but that doesn't matter)
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could of also applied heat to the bolts . i have a 700 $ 1/2" snap-on impact driver and a 300$ ingersol rand , i only weigh 165lbs and i have more power with a breaker bar , you should be able to break that torx bit with a bar .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Body & Paint All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: