Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with the swampy by-pass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: help with the swampy by-pass Reply with quote

ya so i got my tank on the ground and every thing dissconnected... except for i think its a sensor? the only thing that doesnt plug into the fuel pump but is seperate and goes into the tank....
so my delema is... the electrical to the pump has 6 wires where i only need 2... ALSO there is 2 fuel lines going into the pump one to the filter and one that i dunno about.. so ya um a lil help would be wonderful. i guess im a fawquin wetaurd but i seriously hate it when my jeep wont start. have a safe weekend
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second line is a return . i dont have a zj so i can't help you with the wires , my xj only has three , power ground and signal from the level gage
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test for the wire that is hot when the key is forward, there should only be one, it's probably red. That's your power wire, then just run the ground from the new pump to one of the mounting screws. One fuel line is the out (to the engine) and one line is the return (to the tank). Don't worry about the return. Twisted Evil
Here's what mine looks like!

DankNesS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet... thats kinda what i figured on the wiring after i was under there and thought about it for a while...
So i find the hot one and that is the only one i cut right? the others stay pluged in? or do i just run the hot to my new pump and unplug the others?
lastly im not to sure where to feed the line dwon through the pump... obviously the one that goes to the filter is the one that will get new line fed down to the bottom... but does the other one stay pugged in?

so ya im just curious what to do with the electrical and what is needed to be done to feed the line down.. did you cut the top of the stock pump where the line connects and feed it down that hole?? Embarassed Embarassed im so dumb
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just unplugged the pump and ran the wires to the new pump..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, cut the hot one and attach it to the new pump. You have to leave the others plugged in if you want the fuel gauge to work. You have to open up the sending unit and you'll see a line that goes into the pump, remove the pump and extend that line all the way to the bottom. Make sure the hose stays in place at the bottom, if it comes undone you could run out of gas with a half tank and not know! Mr. Green Did the new pump come in already?
DankNesS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i got the pump in just havent had the time to put it in yet... i tried to unscrew the pump but it wasnt having that at all.. i did get my skid plate painted and the tow hitch primed! ha ha...
so my next task is removing the sending unit.. ill let you know if i still cant put 2 and 2 together once its open

thanks for the replys!!!!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i got the canister out and the pump pulled... it was most def fucked. i plugged it to my battery and que nada.. then i tried the msd and it fired up on contact... so i ran line to the bottom of the canister but im wondering what to connect the lower end to? did you utilize the in canister filter? did you use the rubber gromet?

also im wondering... does the canister close all the way?it seems like it did but then after i took it apart it stays with a lil gap.....

i have to put pressure to keep it like this..

so i took out this lil spring and it will kinda stay.. thoughts ideas experience appreciated

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't use the filter, the in line filter is pre pump now anyways. I don't remember what I used to hold the fuel line at the bottom, a clip or clamp of some sort. The sending unit is supposed to look like this, you've got it right.

DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet thanks bro! i wasnt sure i guess i was trippn but i thought for sure that i got it to snap into place fully closed what a dork i am! gosh if i need any more help with this lil baby task im gonna puke! i just am the Shocked parinoid one that likes to make sure everything is PERFECT.

the rest should be easy as heck. after the canister is cracked it is striaght forward like an arrow. im strongly considering cutting a hole in the back and fixing it with hinges and a latch so that if anything goes down in there in the future i wont have to drop the tank, skid, tow package, and rear bumper!

thanks for the help! i love to get a secound opinion especially from some 1 who has been dare done dat it is very awesome
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: