Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver Tail light failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoshenTop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Driver Tail light failure Reply with quote

I have a 94 JGC Laredo.

The original owner had a wiring harness installed at a local UHaul. Nothing fancy. They tapped in to the wires and housed the unit behind the rear access panel. (behind the spare tire). This has worked fine since I purchased it in 96.

Now..my problem. I borrowed a camper over the weekend that required a 6-pole harness. I found one at a junk yard and made connectors for it to plug into the existing 4-pole. I tested at home, and with the exception of the left rear running light on the trailer, all lights worked. When I made it to the campground, I noticed that the running lights on the camper were no longer working and that the left rear tail light (the one the wiring harness was tapped into) was not working either. The right rear on the vehicle works fine. All other lights in the left rear housing (backup, turn, side marker) work fine. As expected, the wiring harness pole for the running lights is not getting any juice either.

Where could my problem be? It appears that there is not power making it back to the driver-side taillight. But, I am not receiving a "Rear Lamp Failure" as I had in the past when bulbs have blown. Could my problem be with the Bulb Failure Module?

After further testing when I returned home, I'm noticing that the left rear tail light on the trailer seems to have a leaky ground. Don't know if that might help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuses? i dont think it runs on its own relay... na... replace the bulb and see if all the trailer lights work.. ma b its like cristmas lights?
GoshenTop

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! If only it was that simple.

At this time, I'm not worried about the trailer lights. I'm more concerned about the tail light in the jeep. I've tried a new bulb and checked the fuses.

Because the wiring harness taps into the line before the bulb, not having any juice at the harness leads me to think it's something before that.
DankNesS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well have you considered taking the harness out and wiring it back to stock?
GoshenTop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that has crossed my mind.

My first option will be to visit the junk yard. There is a 94/95 GC there that I've pulled parts from before. If it's a module, I can pick it up cheap. If not, time to rewire.

Many thanks for responding!!
cajzmere

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the socket itself. Those damn sockets are notorious for cracking and drying up and breaking by themselves, just from vibration. Put a little MORE heat from amperage draw and...... u get the picture. Use a tester and check the actual wiring to the socket and continuity tester and double check your bulb too. Just thinking Occam's Razor may apply. Good Luck.
GoshenTop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Solution Found Reply with quote

Replacing the Lamp Out Module did the trick. I pulled the part from a 93 GC at the local pull-a-part and things are working fine now. Before another problem occurs, I'm going to install a modulite system for my trailer harness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: