Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'93 XJ 4.0L HO - Rocker arm placement?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: '93 XJ 4.0L HO - Rocker arm placement? Reply with quote

I recently aquired a nice little 1993 2-door XJ, and the engine runs a little sluggishly (over 200,000 mi.). I'm going to pick up an Accel Super Tune kit and replace the air and oil filters, so I'm not too worried about replacing the distributor cap and sparks. I'll just have to VERY CLEARLY mark which wire from the cap goes to which point on the block so I don't get confused.

The other thing is it's knocking in two places. One is in the cat (nice, big, fat carbon nodules I'm sure), so I'll be replacing it real soon (don't think it'll pass inspection). The other is on top of the motor, which from the sound of it, appears to be one of the rocker arms atop the valves. I did some reading and it only appears to be a few bolts and the top cover comes off, and from the look of things, it should be fairly easy to pull apart and check each rocker. See Autozone's instructions.

My question is what is the appearance of a bad rocker? It says pitted and such, so I'll probably be looking for scoring and/or wear-and-tear.

Also, it looks like the rocker cover involves sealant. Gotta watch that as well... Autozone instructions.

I'll post up pics of both procedures for future budding Jeepers to enjoy, both on the cap tuneup and the rocker arm quest. Now I gotta pick up some parts... rofl

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most valve covers have a gasket. If the gasket is installed correctly, and the bolts tightened down to spec, you shouldn't need any RTV.

If it continues to run sluggishly after the tune up, I doubt the problem is as simple as a worn rocker. If it's knocking from the top end and it runs sluggishly the problem is most likely something deeper in the valve train (lifters, seats, etc.). If that's the case you'll have to pull off and probably rebuild the head. The question then becomes is it worth doing that on a bottom end with 200K+ miles on it? Might as well just hook the engine and rebuild it. Hell...might as well turn it into a stroker (that's what I'd do).

The tune up will tell the tale. Have you done a compression test?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jppilot61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got another JEEP?

You must be making too much money!

What do u have planned for this one?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what the phantom said , its what i was going to recommend .

your going to have worn out rings , scored cylinders a cam that doesn't raise so high and valves that don't seat to well . just rebuild it and its about the same price to stroke it .

or just leave it .
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this was planned to be a daily driver, but the engine wear is a little more daunting than I was expecting. Neutral

On the plus side, I got a line on a recently rolled 2000 XJ with a 4.0L for $1500 (also might be able to talk him down a little more). The engine is top notch and it has 5 32' Muddies (Pro-Comp?) plus a 6" lift kit (SYE and Tom Woods also I think, need to check that). The problem is I have ZERO knowledge on engine swapping (which also answers the question on "Do I know how to stroke an engine???" Embarassed ), nor do I have the tools to accomplish the job. Crying or Very sad

If I could find help, I'd give the remains away to the person helping out. This would be the old engine, the entire lift kit, factory axles, the interior, and the exterior, as I need the new engine, t-case and shaft, cat, and might as well take the muffler too. I'll get details on what all it has on it if anyone can help me.

Last edited by Drake69 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drake69

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jppilot61 wrote:
You got another JEEP?
You must be making too much money!
What do u have planned for this one?

This was purely a 2WD DD with pulling power to tow my rig to and from trails. It's got a 3" RE lift (don't know why), a tranny cooler, and Class-III Mopar towing hitch. I haven't done the compression test yet, would need the gauge from Autozone and two people to do it, one to crank the engine and one to monitor and take down the readings.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to swap the engine from the 00 into the 93, your going to need to swap all the electronics too since the 00 is an OBDII engine and the 93 is ODBI.

I'd help but I don't have the bandwidth right now. I still need to button up the exhaust on the XJ, do some carb, tranny and wiring work on the Camaro, and get the GMC truck up to snuff. Plus we are about to have a whole bunch of concrete work done around the house that's gonna cut off access to the garage for a few weeks. Confused

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Last edited by ThePhantum on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake, come on let's see it!!! Mr. Green
jppilot61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I haven't done the compression test yet, would need the gauge from Autozone and two people to do it, one to crank the engine and one to monitor and take down the readings.

Get a cheap remote starter switch and then you can be a One-Man Circus Clown Act like me!

Cheap remote starter switch

(Hadn't figured out how to get rid of all this bs and make simple link-y?)

- turn ignition switch on, then use hand held momentary button to turn over engine!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hadn't figured out how to get rid of all this bs and make simple link-y?

Fixed it for ya. Click edit on your post and you'll see how to do it. Wink

BOT - Even if you don't get the switch, all you have to do is yank all the plugs and have Sandy turn the key to crank the engine over for you....

Oh, and yes...

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: