Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temp gauge not working...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
avengerXJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Temp gauge not working... Reply with quote

Ok... now this is driving me INSANE.

My temp gauge constantly stays about one notch above the left most notch. It is in this position whether the jeep is on, off, hot, or cold. If I move the gauge needle by hand to any position, the second I turn the key to ON, whether the jeep is hot or cold, the needle returns to this same position. I figured that it was probably the sensor, so I replaced it - and still the same.

From what I have read, the gauge has a 12v input and a variable ground from the sensor. So I checked the ground on the sensor and there is no ground hot or cold. I'm not sure if this is how it should be or not. Perhaps it is a possibility that I got a defective sensor, but I want to be sure before removing it again and spewing coolant everywhere.

This is the sensor I am using: [URL="http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=GPS&mfrpartnumber=TSU130&parttype=425&ptset=A"]Temperature Sending Unit w/Gauge[/URL]

If it helps, it is a 1987 XJ 2dr, 4.0L, 4wd
kaos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that link doesn't work for me. (It redirects to a page asking for my zipcode, which I don't have, not being in the US.)

Have you double checked that it is the correct sensor? Some models of XJ had no temp gauge, but a warning light. The sensor for that was, I think, just a termostat that shorted to ground only when the engine overheated.

HTH
--
Kári in Iceland
avengerXJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can put in 32114 for the zip if you want... that's mine.

It claims it is the one for the gauge.
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Temp Gauge Reply with quote

Remove the wire from the temp sender and with the key in the run position
run the sender wire to a good ground.The temp gauge should go to 260
degrees, when you remove the ground the gauge should go back to cold.
If the gauge doesnt move I would probably say the gauge is bad.
1991 Cherokee Limited
matt the pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue with my needle never moving. Where is that sensor located?
avengerXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the problem months ago. It was the sensor, it was the actual gauge. The gauge has very thin wires going from the screws that hold it on/connectors to the actuator and the break VERY easily.

When replacing the gauge, screw the new one in VERY carefully, and ONLY TIGHTEN THE SCREWS BY HAND. Trust me, I made the mistake of using a screw driver. I went through 4 gauges before I relized WTF was going on.

But if you replace the gauge and the needle still don't move.... On the 4.0L I6 motors, the sensor is located on the Drivers side, top of the case. It has a little wire going to it that plugs in on top.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avengerXJ wrote:
I fixed the problem months ago. It was the sensor, it was the actual gauge. The gauge has very thin wires going from the screws that hold it on/connectors to the actuator and the break VERY easily.

When replacing the gauge, screw the new one in VERY carefully, and ONLY TIGHTEN THE SCREWS BY HAND. Trust me, I made the mistake of using a screw driver. I went through 4 gauges before I relized WTF was going on.

But if you replace the gauge and the needle still don't move.... On the 4.0L I6 motors, the sensor is located on the Drivers side, top of the head, next to the firewall. It has a little wire going to it that plugs in on top.

fixed it for you Wink

i have the same problem just havent fixed it yet
matt the pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know the whole drivetrain was swapped in this vehicle so I'm just hoping that they may have forgotten to hook it back up. I'll have to check it out.
avengerXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:

fixed it for you Wink

i have the same problem just havent fixed it yet

Thanks, my mistake.
mattbred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this same topic, I'm not sure if my gauge reads correctly. Is there any way to calibrate it without using a thermometer?

Also, I did the wire-to-ground thing, and my gauge shoots up 180* (degrees, not temperature degrees) from the cold mark. Goes past 125C / 260F and all the way to being horizontal. Probably normal, but I would like to calibrate it by moving the needle with my finger.

Last edited by mattbred on Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
avengerXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The needle is not calibrateable. The needle is positioned based on current in the wire coil inside the gauge. You can move the needle by hand, but it will return to the correct spot.

The fact that the needle moves means the gauge works, and any problem would be related to the sensor.

You said you don't think it's reading correctly -- what does the temp read while in stop and go, and what when you are driving on highway?

Stop and go traffic, it should get near, but not exceed 210 (220 for 4 cyl). Highway should be a little cooler (the tick below 210, or less). If it exceeds this you need to take a look at your cooling system.
mattbred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well see, back a month ago, I would be idling and I would sometimes catch my gauge going up to 90, down to 40, up to 70, down to 50, up to 110, back and forth. Not as fast as it can go, but fast enough to see the needle moving and knowing it was definitely not right.

I got a new temp sender from napa ($15) and cleaned all the circuitry and electrical connections in the cluster, and it has not done it since. However I still notice an odd pecularity:

When it's at normal operating temperature, I can shut it off for 10 seconds, then turn ignition on, and the needle will go from being 105-110ish down to 90ish instantly, then slowly move back up to 105-110ish. Does it every time.

Also, before my new sender, the needle would be at the 100 mark when warmed up, now it's at the mark just passed it to the right.
avengerXJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, one thing to clarify. If your Jeep is running at 100-110ish, that is WAY TOO COLD.

Please check to see that it is not 200-210ish. On the temp gauge, 100 is the bottom (far left), the lowest the gauge will read, and 210 is right smak dab in the middle. If it is around the 210 ish or a little less, the it is fine. Normal operating temp is 170-220. If it never warms above 110, then your thermostat is like stuck open and can cause damage to your engine from not warming up properly, not to mention you burning more fuel.
mattbred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we dont all live in America. Should've clarified that..

100 celsius is straight up and down for me. Smile

Also, speaking of gauges, I noticed that at cruising RPM's (1550) at 90 KM/H, my oil pressure is a quarter. In between 0 and the top mark. That bad?

(Running Shell 10w30 with an autoextra filter)

This is what it's like, the needle is where the red painted one is.

matt the pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver's side, top of the head, next to the firewall.... that's where I looked. I didn't see it. I'll have to look closer tomorrow I guess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: