Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

spider gears

View previous topic :: View next topic  
docasbro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: spider gears Reply with quote

can someone direct me to a "how to" forum on replacing spider gears? I appreciate it.

Or can someone walk me through it?

Thanks again!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front or rear?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what differential do you have?
docasbro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Spider gears Reply with quote

For the rear. I have a 2001 Cherokee sport.

Thanks for the reply!
docasbro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Spider gears Reply with quote

The rearend is a Dana, but not limited slip. The tag on the differential cover only has numbers on it, no other ID as to which dana it is.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably have a dana 35C if you have ABS. If no ABS then Chrysler 8.25.
Crack the lugs, then jack it up and throw it on some jackstands. Remove the diff cover and let the fluid drain. If you haven't removed a diff cover before, take out the bottom bolts leaving the top attached but loose and let the fluid drain, then take the cover off completely. While it's draining remove the tires, brake calipers, and rotors. Then you need to remove the cross shaft that is in the middle of the spiders, I think the 35 has a 1/4" 12 point bolt holding it in, if not it's a rollpin that can be pushed out with a skinny punch. Once you remove the shaft, have someone push on either axle shaft, towards the spider gears. This will allow you to remove the c-clips that hold the shafts in place, they should slide right off once pressure is removed. You'll have to pull the axles out about 6" to clear the gears. After that the spiders will come right out if they didn't already. Installation is the exact reverse. The big (side gears) go on the sides and the little (spider gears) go on the top and bottom. Make sure you reinstall the thrust washers and you should be all set. You'll also need a new diff cover gasket if your's is shot and some fluid. Mr. Green

docasbro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: spider gears Reply with quote

Really appreciate the info. I have drum brakes on the rear so I assume that I need to pull the shoes etc. off? then proceed as you instructed. I did pull the diff cover off and drained and replaced the fluid.

Thanks again!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was thinking of my ZJ, it has rear disc! You shouldn't have to remove the shoes, just the drum. Cool
docasbro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Spider gears Reply with quote

10-4... Again, I really appreciate your help! This is the 5th jeep I have owned and I have never had this particular issue before. I had an ase tech tell me it was the spider gears, so thats what I am going with. It's getting worse all the time (howling during decelleration and when turning left)

Thanks! I'll keep ya posted!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you replace that 3$ 12 point 1/4" bolt that holds the cross shaft in , your in there just replace it . i have seen that bolt break and well lets not talk about what happens to the diff .

they are usually worn to crap so i replace them most of the time , and hey its cheep insurance .

while you are removing your axles , look at the axle surface were they ride on the bearings right at the outside of the housing . if it is wearing excessively then get some offset bearings , im just saying this because you already have it apart so you might as well check it out . Smile yours are probably fine because yours is so new but hey why not .
docasbro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Spider gears Reply with quote

OK... I'm going to tear into it this weekend. I sure welcome all the tips and advice I can get. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: