Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overheating problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mexirican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Overheating problems Reply with quote

First of all, I am new to the Cherokee family. I just bought my 1990 2 door Cherokee a little over a week ago and i love it. the only thing is that when I'm in traffic or driving slow, it overheats. If I'm on the freeway or even driving on the streets, it runs very cool. But as soon as the rpms drop, the temp rises very quickly. Any help would be awesome.

thanks
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the engine cold, try to spin the fan by hand. If it free spins more that 2 or 3 times...the clutch needs to be replaced.

does your electric fan turn on ? just turn on your ac and the fan should turn on .

is your radiator a pritty color like green ? if so it's pretty old and could be plugged .

thermostat could be worn out .

hows the coolant level ?

with the vehicle running squeeze the top hose , is it fairly firm ? is there a loud ticking from the front of the engine . could indicate the water pump is shot .

i would start with the fans , thats my guess . or water pump.
dancerman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mostly likely cause of overheating at low speeds is a dirty coolant system or a bad fan clutch. Check that the coolant looks fresh and the inside of the radiator is not gummed up. Drain the coolant, flush the system and refill if needed. Also, if any coolant hoses look old they should be replaced as they can degrade internally and cause blockage. Then, make sure the radiator is not blocked in the front with leaves or other debris. Check that the fan clutch is working properly and the fan shroud (if equipped) is installed. There are other possible causes but these are where I would look first.
Good Luck.
mexirican

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the electric fan works. i will try the mechanical fan later today. the funny thing is that yesterday when i was going home, i was going about 70 on the freeway, i put the truck in nuetral and it started to heat up. it didnt go up as fast nor did it peak out as high as it usually does, but it did start to go up at 70+MPH. it seems to only overheat at low engine speeds. not just low speeds. i was in 4 high and messing around in first geat at about 3000 rpm or so and it never got above 210.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to guess the clutch fan or water pump then , im leaning towards the water pump
mexirican

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking too. Thanks for your help. Also, do Cherokees have a reputation of leaking gas due to bad fuel injector bushings? I looked around the forum and that seems to be the norm for Jeeps above 150k miles.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine doesn't / hasn't but they are like 8$ for a set .
mexirican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bushings themselves, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: