Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What the heck is going on?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GREATONES96

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: What the heck is going on? Reply with quote

Sorry this will be a long one,,Past couple months while driving my jeep would act as if it had vapor lock for a couple seconds and oil gauge and temp guage would go to zero and then it would drive fine again.Well the other day it did it again and shut off this time and would not restart,sounded as if it had no spark,i took the core out of the fuel rail to see if there was fuel pressure and looked like plenty.And after a few hours and trying to restart it all of a sudden out of the blue it starts again and is running fine.And in the mean time i have replaced the cap and rotor,spark plugs and wires and the coil, because when the engine light was on it read miss fire. well it has been running again and now is starting to sound like maybe there is a miss fire at idle but while i drive it it runs strong,oh and it is a 97 xj 4.0 with 190.000 miles on it.Is there any one that can help please,,very frustrating..........Thank you in advance.. Shawn
mattbred

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your battery connections, voltage while not running, and voltage while running. Sounds like you got some funky electrical gremlins..
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of this sounds like the crank position sensor except for the loss of guages. That seems like it would point to the computer or lack of power to it. Intermittent issues are brutal. It's gotta be electrical.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would guess a bad ground .
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: What the Heck is going on? Reply with quote

It sounds that your fuel pump is bleeding pressure off.
Try this the next time it wont start. Turn the ignition switch and listen for the pump to prime. Turn off the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch
back on again and listen for the pump to prime. Do this at least 3 times.
Try to start the engine, if it starts you may have a fuel pump problem.
The pressure is leaking off or it is not making enough pressure.
1991 Cherokee Limited
rbjeepster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck is going on? Reply with quote

i had a very similar problem it wouldn't start out of no where i would wait and hour and it would start with no problems. CHECK your crank positioning sensor its on the drive side of the tranny right at the top of the bell housing next time your xj doesn't start try unplugging the connector to that senor then plugging it back in worked for me and i found the problem right away
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing electrical problems of some sort.
Maybe something with the computer.
Teriod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of these posts are very good ideas and should be checked, in addition if you vehicle has some sort of ignition control module i would check/change that
cjhauler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a similiar problem with my 94 XJ with 183,000! I have always been meticulous with maintenance and this is the first time this Jeep has ever given me any problems. In my case, it's as if the transmission disconnects for a split second and then reconnects. I did notice the tach dropped to zero and then right back to correct rpms. It's hard to tell if the engine drops out or the transmission disconnects. I'll try some of the suggestions here and see what happens. Will post results, if any.
cjhauler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick follow up, Replaced the crank position sensor two weeks ago and no problems since! Thank for the suggestions, seems to have corrected it! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: