Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tranny question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsumotors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: tranny question Reply with quote

hey, i have a 1988 cherokee 5 speed and it has over 400,000 km on it, i don't know when the last time the tranny fluid was changed or if it ever has been at all. is it a good idea to do this? same question for the transfer case? also, i looked in my manual and the picture it shows of the tranny and the check/fill plug and drain plug are not the same on my jeep, i can't seem to find them at all, there is some bolts and such on it but there are quite a few and i don't know which ones are the ones? anyone have an idea? thanks
mitsumotors

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any info would be appreciated
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry , its strange no one is responding . i don't have that transmission so i can't help you with the plug .

but yes change the fluid in both your transmission and t-case , the hardest part is figuring out if you need to run ATF in your transmission and transfer case or 80-90 , you might run it in the tranny and not the t-case or vise versa . look in the manual or hopefully some one with your 5 speed can help you out .

i would put 80-90 in the transmission and ATF in the t-case .

the fill should be obvious , probably takes around a 30mm socket , something big enough to put your finger in . again usually on the drivers side around half way up in the middle of the tranny .

your not going to blow anything apart by taking out random cap-screws and seeing if you can put oil in them . Smile

sorry im not more help .

do you know what transfer case and transmission you have ? t-case should have a tag on the back saying something like np231

Last edited by Brad The Best on Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and welcome to the forum
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad The Best wrote:
sorry , its strange no one is responding .

It's not at all strange. Weekends are slow on internet forums and the OP only waited about 5 hours before posting again.

As far as the fluid changes for trans and t-case...yes and yes.

Is the diagram you have of an AX-15? I believe that was the trans used in manual XJs.
mitsumotors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i don't remember what model is in the diagram but there are actually two pictures, one shos the fil/check plug on the passenger side and the drain plug on the bottom, and the other diagram shows one plug on the driver side and one plug on the passenger side, either way mine is not like either of these. thanks for the input though guys, i'll try to take some of the bolts out and see if any of them are plugs. i guess?
JOHNB279

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: FLUID Reply with quote

As a general rule if it's cast it takes gear lube.If it's aluminium it takes auto trans fluid.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsumotors wrote:
i'll try to take some of the bolts out and see if any of them are plugs. i guess?

That's not really a great idea.

Determine what transmission you have and then find the correct diagram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: