Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stretched xj steering problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slinky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: stretched xj steering problem Reply with quote

i have a 91 jeep xj that i have stretched the fornt axle out 10". how can i make the steering function. relocating the steering forward looks impossible and swapping the pitman arm around makes it steer the oppisite way. can you swap the pump hoses around to make it turn the right way with the pitman arm swapped or is that just a dumb question. i have been a member of ROCKCRAWLER.com for quite a while and i think everybody on that forum has died Finger . any info or comments will be most welcome.
pigboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you need to move the box? longer tie rod, center link (off of the same front end you got the longer tubes?) should work with the same pitman and the box in the same location. putting the hoses backwards doesn't change direction, it makes it not turn.
badger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to see a picture of this 10" stretch.

with a picture i would have a better chance of doing something.

depending on what axle you have under the front you could actually pull the steering box backward .leave the pitman arm in the stock location and do a cross over steering with high steer arms facing backward off the knuckles.

the other option you have is going full hydro

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slinky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i post a pic?
badger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
how do i post a pic?

you have to host it some where before you can post it.

try photobucket or one of the many other.once its online and being hosted its just a matter of linking to it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img][/img][img][/img]

Last edited by slinky on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.now how do i make this look better. how do i put them on top of each other instead of beside. and how do i make smaller and fit the page right. sorry for being such a newbie on ya'lls site.
slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the jeep on the right is my '91 project. i have stretched the front almost 10" and have about a 8" lift all home fabed brackets and control arms. it has 35"x15"x15" boggers on 15"x10" centerline wheels. all running gear is stock as of now for mock up. i have a dana 44 rear i am going to stuff in the rear and still have not found a front 44 yet. the '91 jeep on the left is my daily driver and has a custom fabbed 4" lift with 235-75-15" tires. both jeeps run 4.0s with auto trannys a/c and all the good stuff. i have been on this stretched project for about two weeks now and have pretty much finished the front set-up. i am going for a custom 3-link and coil set-up in the rear. i put leafs in the rear already but am not saticfied with it.
slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is my posts so stretched out?
badger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man that thing is stretch isn't it.

your alright with the pictures.........i see them just fine.

you have any close ups of the front and and were the axle sits in relation to the stock steering location?

the only other thing i can think of is to find a steering box that has the pitman arm facing backward from the factory.i believe old fullsize jeeps have it facing backward.maybe earlier ford box face backward as well.

let me ask one question though why stretch the front so far? why not stretch the rear some .

slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i was wanting to do the rear also with the front. i was wanting to get about 115" to 118" of wheel base. see the rear leafsprings are offset more to the front. so i was going to swap the leafs oppisite to put the offset toward the rear end to gain about 3" to 4" more inches to get the full stretch i was looking for. what stopped me was the fact that i would really have to hack on my rear quarter and relocate my gas tank. so i think the front will serpass me for now. and i really like the way the jeep looks with the front stretched. alot of the trails we have around here i travel would hange me on my stock wheel base. maybe now i can conquer them. i am starting on the rear today to do the rear coil swap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: