Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dana 30 bearing question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slinky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: dana 30 bearing question Reply with quote

i dont really know, but does the dana 30 have bearings in the ends of the tubes? i have a diagram of the dana 30 in the Essentials For Jeep Cherokee Cataloge. the diagram does not show outer tube bearings. if they have the bearings which i know they do where can i get them - napa, car quest, auto zone.
Haleyes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D30 uses what is refered to as unit bearings, also refered to as "hubs". They are non-serviceable and cannot be rebuilt. They can be had at parts stores for around $80. The hub is attached to the outer knuckle. The hub is attached to the knuckle with 3 12point bolts. The head of these bolts are located on the backside of the knuckle. They can be a PIA to get broke loose if they haven't been touched in a while. It can also be a chore to seperate the hub from the knucke once the 3 bolts are removed. I use an air chisel and place the blade between the hub and the knuckle, it usually busts it loose pretty quick. Once you start to re-assable, be sure to use anti-sieze on the mating surfaces where the hub contacts the knuckle.

There is nothing in the tube other than an axle seal. The axle seals are located in the tube right next to the differential.

HTH

Hale

www.naxja.org
slinky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input, really appreciated. i just cant believe that they dont have outer tube bearings like most axles. crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: