Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vibrations after lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
black97xj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: vibrations after lift Reply with quote

i just finished putting a 2 inch lift (AAL and front spacers) on my 97 cherokee. i've read that some cherokees can be lifted up to 4 inches without causing any vibrations, and that vibrations can occur in others with small lifts, such as mine. i'm noticing some vibrations, i'm assuming from the rear driveshaft, under acceleration and to a lesser degree under deceleration. i know i could install a 1 inch transfer case drop to try to remedy this, but i'm wondering if i should try anything else first? it has been suggested that i replace my u-joints and get my driveshaft balanced. the jeep has 130k miles on it, but was completely smooth before i installed the lift. i suppose the greater angle between the t-case and rear axle could magnify any wear in the u-joints or imbalance in the driveshaft, but i really don't know. i know this is a relatively common problem with lifted jeeps, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what i should try? thanks.
rbjeepster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: vibrations after lift Reply with quote

when i lifted my jeep the first time to three inches i considered the vibrations and from what i heard at three inches the drive line angle wouldn't be an issue. the first thing i would do if i were u is to just pop in new u joints theyre cheap and it could keep u from spending any more money on the problem. when i lifted my jeep the second time to two more inches i went ahead and bought a one inch t-case drop because at five inches i was most likely to feel some vibration, they were really cheap but i did have to sacrifice some ground clearance not much but some. so yeah ur u joints might have been aggravated due to the lift and it might only be a problem as small as that check them out first
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes shimming the rear end will solve the problem.
Teriod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Sometimes shimming the rear end will solve the problem.

x2 they make degreed shim for between the axle and the leaf springs in 4 degrees and 6 degrees to tilt the differential up and decrease the angle between the the axle and the tc, i used both tc drop and shims to eliminate vibes on my yj
IBTJn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no XJ expert, but my first thought/question was did you use the original springs? If so, that probably merely put it back to just over stock (new)height with the normal spring sag that I've always seen on XJ's.

Just a thought, but when we did the 2" OME lift (which included complete new springs) we didn't need to shim the rear axle at all or do a TC drop (even though TC shims were included in the kit). I tend to agree that the U-joints are a likely culprit and should be addressed/looked at no matter what you find. They are relatively cheap to replace anyway to be sure.

Just a couple of things that come to my mind.
Wink
black97xj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the responses, guys... looks like i know what i'm doing on saturday (u-joints) if that doesn't do the trick i'll look into shims or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: