Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherokee Sport Noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucescase2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Cherokee Sport Noise Reply with quote

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Whenever I get up past 40 mph, my car makes a continous loud humming noise, as if I had really worn-out tires. The noise gets louder the faster I go, and it does not vary much with my RPMs. The car also feels sluggish to me --- as if I were driving with the emergency brake on. I have had all four tires replaced and the wheel bearings checked. I have had the transmission checked. No problems. Also, I am getting terrible mileage --- 14 mpg or less. What might be the problem?

Luces
slinky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinion is it's the rear end. drive it for a mile or to and see if the pinion yoke or the cover plate is really hot. or just pull the cover and inspect the fluid for a burn smell and you can chech for play also or slack in the pinion gear and ring gear. if you pull the cover check the ring gear for wear and damaged teeth. check fluid also for metal shavings. when the rear end is going out it will make a humming or roaring noise and can change in sound as you speed up or slow down like mud tire almost. good luck with it.
lucescase2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Slinky. I'll check this out.
Teriod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
my opinion is it's the rear end. drive it for a mile or to and see if the pinion yoke or the cover plate is really hot. or just pull the cover and inspect the fluid for a burn smell and you can chech for play also or slack in the pinion gear and ring gear. if you pull the cover check the ring gear for wear and damaged teeth. check fluid also for metal shavings. when the rear end is going out it will make a humming or roaring noise and can change in sound as you speed up or slow down like mud tire almost. good luck with it.

this sounds like good advice, i would check that first, if you dont find any problems there, how did your old tires look?? where they worn on one edge or the other??? an alignment problem could cause the tires to make noise like this even with new tires, but i think if you had an alignment prob the shop that changed your tires would have said something
slinky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if you are driving this regularly you need to get that check quickly. if you dont your rear axle or pinion will lock up and you will be in for a ride of your life if you are doing more than 35mph. very scary.
eggdashure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea, sometimes another view shows different options. I have an almost scraping noise that seems to come from the drivers front of the vehicle at around 40ish and up. My bro-in-law mechanic took it for a spin and noticed the noise I was describing. He suggested I replace the U-joint and hub on the drivers side. I did that and it changed nothing. He then recommended I check the front driveshaft for any bad joints, which I found a bad one.

You can see my post under "Front Driveshaft Removal" some good info on there you may want to check out. Just another thought for ya anyways. It doesn't take much to pull that driveshaft and see if your noise goes away like mine did, but I don't claim to an expert. Smile

Matt
pipxj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front shaft did something similiar when it was time to replace the cv/double cardian/whatever mine had (see the other thread about no front shaft). Check that while you're under there as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: