Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Driveshaft Removal...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggdashure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Front Driveshaft Removal... Reply with quote

Hi all,

Question regarding Front Driveshaft. Can it be removed and driven without it? I'm looking to take a long trip and won't need 4x4, so I thought I could pull it off for the trips duration. The reasoning is that I heard that it will give slightly better MPG, not sure if that's true or not, but I know I have a bad U-joint on it and won't have time to replace it before the trip anyways. I know that shaft still turns somewhat even when not engaged.

Thanks,
Matt Mr. Green
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you could remove it.
eggdashure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any adverse effects to doing this for too long?

Matt
slinky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none i can think of. have a safe trip bra. peace
pipxj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only put mine in when I know I'll need the four wheel drive.
eggdashure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you notice a difference in gas mileage or acceleration at all? Last time I pulled my driveshaft off I could feel the front most U-joint was really stiff. I don't have the time, or tools for that matter, to replace it so this could be a good option.

Thanks!
pipxj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.

Here's a really fun one for you. You can't replace the u-joint in the front because it's not a u-joint. It's a cv shaft and you have to replace the whole thing at about $400 from the dealer. I had a machine shop lob off the cv joint, and put a u-joint on the end and balance it. Cost me about $150 but I now have greaseable u-joints that are only $20 to replace.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipxj wrote:
Not really.

Here's a really fun one for you. You can't replace the u-joint in the front because it's not a u-joint. It's a cv shaft and you have to replace the whole thing at about $400 from the dealer. I had a machine shop lob off the cv joint, and put a u-joint on the end and balance it. Cost me about $150 but I now have greaseable u-joints that are only $20 to replace.

???
Mine have double cardan joints.

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
pipxj wrote:
Not really.

???
Mine have double cardan joints.

some people call double cardian joints cv joints because they deliver constant torque unlike a u-joint , though the balls and sockets style cv shaft do exist and is probably what you are thinking of orange

i think a couple of the years of xj production they slipped some in to xj's some were in the front end , but that thought makes me vomit so i wont research it .

and the double cardian joints cost about 80$ and there not that hard to do by yourself , you don't need and fancy tools you just have to know how to do it .

i wish i had a double cardian on the back as well , i would never lob mine off , infact i might put one on there one day after the sye kit goes in and i purchase a sye kit and an actuall lift not one i fabbed up from old vehicles and nylon sheets Smile
pipxj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle, a jeep dealer mechanic, was the one that suggested it. I must have the one that was thrown on there for a couple years. It isn't cheap to replace. I was getting all kinds of driveline vibes and when we pulled it, bearings fell out of it. I did the U-joint conversion about 4 years ago and haven't had any problems with it. If I had the money, I would def. go SYE but compared to replacing that shaft you can't beat the price.
slinky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres always ebay. good luck with it.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
some people call double cardian joints cv joints because they deliver constant torque unlike a u-joint , though the balls and sockets style cv shaft do exist and is probably what you are thinking of orange

I was thinking of a double cardan joint. I found this for reference.

slinky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people call them high velocity joints too.
eggdashure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

Thankfully it's not double cardan end of the shaft that's bad for me! Mr. Green

I know those aren't cheap to mess with, but I got some information I didn't bargain for with this post. I thought you had to have the DC joint on the front for the Full-Time 4-Wheel Drive. I was under the impression it somehow offset the turning of the front wheels for operation on pavement. I dunno, I'm still a newbie when it comes to driveshafts and the like.

Matt
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have a dc joint on the front . there really not super expensive , you can do one for like 80$ or at least i did using spicer greesable joints and the ball .

anyway
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: