Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MILK SHAKE MACHINE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LP327

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: MILK SHAKE MACHINE Reply with quote

This is my first post and I hope it isn't somthing that has been posted and run into the ground, but here it is any way.

I have a 2005 TJ and I have a shaking problem. I don't shake at certain speeds, just driving down the road. I shake at different speeds(here is the key), when I hit bumps on the road. I live in Louisiana, so pot holes are unavoidable. The steering starts shaking if I hit small or large holes/bumps. The only thing is that it doesn't do it every time. Its almost as if I have to hit them a certain way for the Jeep to react. The only thing is I don't know how I am hitting them. The steering starts shaking so much that I have to slow down alot, to avoid going off the road and causing an accident. When I do slow down the shaking stops. I am still under warranty, but as you all know, you bring it in and tell them what its doing and they can't make it repeat. I haven't braught it in yet, but I was wondering if maybe any of you more experienced Jeepers could tell me what to look for or to mention. I have no modifications to it...no lift or big tires or anything. I baught it used, in August '06, form a Jeep dealership. I paid for the carfax report, which showed only one owner and no accidents. I know it could have been wrecked and they paid for it out of pocket to be repaired and not reported it, but I am hoping thats not the case. The tires a re great, nothing looks wrong. It has only 19432 miles on it, and I haven't been hard on it just because it is still under warranty and don't want to void it. Well I have drug this on long enaugh. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Ryan - LP327
blktrax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have is commonly refered to as "Bump Steer" or "Death Wobble"

Step one, rotate your tires and check the tire air pressues (see your door jamb sticker or owners manual). See if this changes anything. If it does you may have a bent rim or a bad tire.

Step two, Get an alignment check, too much toe in or out can cause this condidtion. Most commonly from running into something and bending the tie rod. OR axle track bar is loose or bent (should be caught by alignment check)

Step three, Steering stabilizer shock that attached to the tie rod is bad.

Step four, steering gear box and attached pitman arm is bad or loose on its mounts.

The only other parts that would effect alignment ar the upper and lower control arms, if they are bent they can effect "castor angle" of the alignment. But if these are bent its most likey from abuse on rocks or an accident.

Heres some articles the subject:
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dw.html
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=261532
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: MILK SHAKE MACHINE Reply with quote

LP327 wrote:
it is still under warranty and don't want to void it.

Take it back to the Jeep dealer you bought it from and have it fixed. That's what warranties are for.
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id hate to say it, but I'd do a little bit of both. Hit your dealer and tell them there is a problem and if that isn't the cure alignment/tire rotation time. Wink
Mikey TJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others have posted the most likely causes, but left out one possibility: loose trackbar. I just got my TJ back from a rotation/balance and alignment in hopes of curing my Death Wobble. I'll be testing this solution tomorrow when I hit a bumpy section of interstate that always causes the wobble. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll be re-torquing my front trackbar.
LP327

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I got it in to the dealership for service, and they got it to perform the "Death Wobble". After all that they say they looked at everything and nothing was lose or out of place. Their final say was it is my goodyear tires and after market rims (which were on it when I baught it used from the dealership) and they don't cover them under the warranty. They say the Goodyear tires are known to have weak side walls and, its a common problem they run into That is the problem or they just need to be balanced, but because its an after market rim they can't do it. So now the pain in the rear had begun. The tires are brand new, well pretty much brand new. I am sad to say I have only put just over 3000 miles on them in them in the past year. To total the milage that I put on and the miles it had when I got it is now 19784. The tires look new no tread ware so, I don't know. I am bringing it to my friends shop and having him look at the tires and rebalance them. I told him of the Goddyear tire wall thing and he said that he's never heard of it like the dealership is saying, that it is so common. I will post again soon. Any response to this would be great.
silvergoat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some inexpensive steel wheels with the wrong back spacing will cause a shake going down the road. As for the tires the dealership is full of sh--.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably just need to be rebalanced. Tires wear, and after 30,000 miles, I'm sure they could use it.
Or it could be something else that the dealership was to dumb to find.

Mix1980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I Have a 2005 Unlimited and mine was shaking. The tires were in bad shape. If the tires that are on it are the wrangler gs-a you might consider changing to a new tire in the future. The dealership put new tires of a different brand on mine before I took it home for good. That solved the problem for the most part. As people have stated before check your balance and alignment. Also, make sure your tires aren't over inflated. Tell the dealership to tightent the front end up for you. I hope this problem is resolved soon for you. I know it's aggrevating.
blktrax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Advance Auto Parts or Autozone or any online retailer and get a beefy steering stabilizer Shock, Rancho, Skyjacker ect. Had this on my 06 when I put on 32x11.50x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers on 15x8 with 3 in offset wheels. Took care of the problem, that factory one does just that, handles factory equipment, aftermarket wheels, changes the steering geometry, just enough to be annoying.
LP327

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SORRY LATE ON AN UPDATE:

Well a week or two ago I got it to my friends shop and he checked the tires and balnced them and it still didn't fix the shake. He finally found the solution....he put on a heavy duty stearing stabalizer, and that has fixed it. I have hit every bump at every speed and have tried to make it do the shaking and it hasn't done it yet. I believe it has been fixed. The only thing is that its gonna cost me out of pocket, instead of being covered by my warranty, since the F'n dealership was too dumb and lazy to figure this out. Anyway, thanks for all the responses. Looking forward for the day I may be able to help someone.

Thanks, LP327
FuzzyDolly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have an 05 and mine just recently started with the death wobble. I have 12k miles on it, and am still running the original 225/75R15 GSA's. Dealership told me there is nothing they can do about it, must be the tires, and that I need to purchase new ones. I've decided that since my inspection is up in September, I'm going to purchase a set of 31X10.5R15 Cooper STT's, have (another) alignment done, and upgrade to an OME steering stabilizer. Hopefully this will stop the wobble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: