Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check Engine Light-2005 Unlimited

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mix1980

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Check Engine Light-2005 Unlimited Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. I hope you all are doing well!

-Here's my question. For a while now my check engine,(OBD) light has been coming on and off. My local 4X4 store believes it's an intermittent problem as well as myself. However, before I could just pop the hood, disconnect my negative battery cable and reset the computer and the light would go off and stay off for about 1 and a half to 2 months and then come back on. Lately it's been coming back on the next day or so after disconnecting the battery.
-The code it gives me when I turn my key on and off 3 times is P2098. I believe this is post cad fuel trim? Correct me if I'm wrong. What does this mean and can I fix it myself without having major work done? Any help would be great. I drive this jeep 60+ miles everyday and it has about 76,004 miles on it. Thanks in advance!
Mix1980

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who may be wandering. My jeep kept giving me two error codes. One being p0431 which is the warm up catalyst and the other being p2098 which is post catalyst fuel trim low. I my jeep to auto zone and let them scan it with thir computer and it is an oxygen sensor. Pre.... something. I didn't want to buy a bosch sensor. Can anyone tell me how may o2 sensors I have(upstream, downstream?). I DO NOT live in CA. Thanks
blktrax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2 Preheaters, you need new 02 sensors, possibly a new cat. I would suggest that you try a diffrent brand of fuel or stick to buying one brand of fuel. 02's usually go bad from being exposed to a lot of moisture or fuel thats not burning properly. You may also want to change your sparkplugs and air filter when you do the 02's.
Mix1980

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
How many o2 sensors do I have? It's an 05 unlimited.
blktrax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2, One at the header and one down at the cat.
Mix1980

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
Do the jeeps in California have 4? Just wondering since they have stricter emmissons out there.

I'll probably start with the o2 sensors first. Hopefully that will eleviate the problem.
blktrax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No all TJ's 4 and 6 cyl have two, the new JK since it's a V6 and has 4.

Since you have one downpipe and one cat you only need one before and after, a V6 has 2 cats, there fore you need one in each downpipe and one after each cat.

I CORRECT MYSELF

4 bangers have 2 sensors
6 cyclinders have 4

the XJ had 2 on the 6cyl till they revised the manifold in 97 for odb2

Happens form going through too many jeeps too quickly.

Last edited by blktrax on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mix1980

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I ask is because I was reading up on an o2 sensor change totorial online and the guy had a TJ out in LA that look pretty much stock and did indeed have two upstream and two downstream. Just wondering. If I come across it again I will post the link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: