Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mom's jeep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: mom's jeep Reply with quote

My little brother got transferred to Hawaii, and mom took over his car payments. In order to make room in her life for a new car, she gave me her 91 Cherokee...

It was purchased in Florida and driven in Ohio and Maryland for a few years too. It's got 330k miles and is in pretty bad shape.

It's the 50-year anniversary edition, and has lots of nice amenities (all power everything). but only about half the stuff works still.

I'm thinking I could probably bring it back to life as a road toy that I use for hauling computer gear, taking on ski trips, and a general foul weather vehicle. I'll take it out on farm roads and such, but won't be doing any scrambling with it.

First order of business will be getting the body banged back into shape and a new coat of paint. While I'm doing that I figure I should get the body shop to install a small lift kit and flares. The bumpers are rusted and banged, and need replacing, so I should probably get bull bumpers put on when I'm doing the rest of it. Maybe some other stuff like turn signal guards, but unfortunately I'm a Cadillac driver IRL so this is all new to me. Google sez there's lots of aftermarket stuff available but frankly I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all.

Any recommendations for me? What would you do to turn this into something suitable for winter road trips?

Thanks for the help!
munky*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 88 with a 3" lift from superlift with bds suspenion and 31x10.50 tires but no flares and it has a good look and not bad for the street
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it was maintained very well, 330K is a lot of miles. The first thing I would do is a compression test. That will tell you if the engine needs a rebuild. From there, you can make a decision if it's worth that kind of time and money.

Based on the picture, the rear suspension is shot. It's probably all original, so that means that the entire suspension should be redone. You could go stock, but it won't cost that much more to put a mild (2"-3" lift) on it.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine has good torque and it seems that compression is okay but I'm probably going to give it a rebuild anyway just because of the mileage. It's a straight six so should be pretty simple job.

I'm doing the body first because I want to see what kind of rust problems it has. If there's serious rust then I'll just junk it, but if rust is minimal then I'll have them bang it back and paint it, install a lift kit and flares, etc. (it will be cheaper and easier to have that work done at the same time as the body and paint). After that I'll have the electrical and interior work done, then have the engine rebuilt and possibly replace the transmission with a manual.

So right now I'm trying to figure out budget for a decent workable body kits, especially for light off-road/snow use. What are the best all-terrain (esp. snow) tires for these? I am thinking a 3" lift kit would be good enough for what I am thinking about in terms of usage. The bumpers need to be replaced so I am looking for options there too. What else should I be looking at?

Thanks for any info
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your not doing all that work yourself or getting it done for free , then honestly it is not even close to worth it , sell it and buy a 97 cheroekee and you will still have a lot of money left over . but thats just my opinion , the internet can help you out a lot with what you are trying to do . most owners of these vehicles have done what you are doing in there garages .but hey its your money

300,000 miles , the front cylinder is probably sitting around 100 psi of compression the rest are probably still in spec or just below .

BFgoodrich All Terrain KO

there might be rust at the rockers and perhaps under ether the passenger or driver side floor board .
ehall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there might be rust at the rockers and perhaps under ether the passenger or driver side floor board

That's my big concern. I can see a little rust around parts of the underbody (the tow bar, etc), but I don't see any on the body just by eyeballing. I'll have the body guys take a look at that first and then I'll go from there.
ehall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent most of the weekend surfing around trying to get a feel for the look that I want. A few more-specific questions

The cut-out Bushwhacker fender flares look pretty good. It looks like they would add extra vertical clearance too, although I'm having trouble figuring how much. If I put those in, along with a 3" lift, what is my maximum (non-rubbing) tire size? I guess I would still need to add a lift kit to get the axle clearance but I guess I will get extra lift from taller tires too so... newbie question sorry.

I would really like to find some kind of wraparound brush guard setup like what you see on the Range Rovers (pic). The closest I can find is the WARN TRANS4MER kits, but they are lacking some of the smaller grill work. I guess I could supplement with headlight and indicator kits maybe. Anybody know anything better?

Rear bumpers are also a problem. I would really like some kind of assembly with (1) a spare tire bracket that swings out to the side (so I can open the gate), a wraparound brush guard that folds down (so I can open the gate) (another Range Rover pic), all resting on a solid bumper with some winch rings. The WARN rear bumper kit looks like it will provide 1 and 3 but not 2. Again, maybe some add-on guards will do the trick, but if anybody knows anything here...

I like the wilderness racks, although I really need something like Thule kits for the skis and whatnot. I haven't really looked at this yet, but are there are common mounting kits for using both together?

Thanks guys.
ehall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the body and engine are both pretty solid. The thing has a lot of pep, although it also acts like it has a governor at higher speeds (no difference between halfway floored and fully floored in higher gears). Inside, most of the electrical features work (power windows, rear wiper, etc) too.

However there are a lot of small problems, which is really scaring me. Just for starters the AC needs fixing, and the AC vents are broken too so the dash has to be rebuilt for AC to ever work right. The break-over side mirrors are broken and need to be replaced. The hatch hinges are shot and need to be replaced. The transmission indicators are off by a position, and sometimes it won't turn over in park but will start in neutral. Etc.

I looked around on craigslist and ebay and some local sites and it seems that I can find a pretty good ~99 or later for $4k... It will cost $2k to fix the paint on this, and another $2k in interior and engine work (at least), and then I will still have a ~20 year old XJ with major design flaws and 330k miles...

So at this point I am pretty sure I am going to junk this one and get a later model Grand Cherokee or the like.
Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE my 97 ZJ I got for $1000... Got 175K on it but works perfectly (the radiator went out after I had been using it for awhile but I was very hard on it (branches and stuff hitting it all the time and when it leaked I put that leak sealer crap in it)... Now I have an extra heavy duty all metal radiator in it and it has seen some CRAZY stuff for a stocker and not given me a single problem... I did not know a jeep from a rav4 until I got this one and it has been the nicest car I have ever owned AND the cheapest... So in other words: Look into ZJs (though all Jeeps are probably just as awesome.. I have not owned any others).
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this vechicle is not worth your time at all....i got a 98 cherokee with 92,0000 miles on it with a 3.5" black diamond lift (one of the btter lifts out there in my opinion) A/T's the ac blows so cold i have to turn it off....and i live in florida and that says something during the summer time....4wd drive works flawless...interior is perfet...not even a stractch......back seat has never been sat in....when i bought it the seat was folded down folded it up to find the paper floor mats from the original dealer...looked brand new...only sctraches on it are around the key hole on the driver side door.....i paid 4000 out the door at a used car lot....thats with tax tag and title.....so if you get yours painted and fix your ac that about 5 grand....and your vechicle still has 330,000 miles on it and probably an engine and drivetrain that wont last ya another year or so....but thats my opinion....or go out look around and find something like most people on the forum have for 4 or 5 grand that are already flawless with low miles.....but a lift and tires.....you will be the coolest kid on the block

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: