Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

will not start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
munky*

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: will not start Reply with quote

My 88 cherokee will not start getting fuel no spark though i have put a new ignition control mod ,coil ,cap ,rotor,and pickup coil on it all fuses are good and have power to coil and distribitor so i need help
mattbred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a new crankshaft position sensor.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or if it is a automatic a new neutral safety switch . its probably the cps but if its not then try the safety switch .
munky*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesnt have a cps its a 4.0l fuel injected
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All vehicles run by an OBDI, II or III ECU have a Crank Position Sensor. The 88 XJ is an OBDI system. The CPS is installed in the bellhousing.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
munky*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fault i ws looking for it on the front near the harmonic balance but it looks like its the ecu
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Will Not Start Reply with quote

The MY 1988 comprised of french and AMC knowledge. What a mix. LOL
The engine requires 3 revolutions of the the flywheel for the crank position sensor to signal the ignition module under the the coil to open
and allow spark for the distributor to work.
recently my 1988 XJ was run up to the loacl Haedees and the fuel pump realy went out.
Have you tried using some carb cleaner in the throttle body to see if it is spark or fuel issue. This could be start for trouble shooting without buying parts that you dont need. My 1988 XJ has 324,390 miles with the original ECU. I am not trying to brag it is a waste to through parts at it hoping that one of them will fix it.
1991 Cherokee Limited
munky*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its fuel injected and getting fuel but i took a test light to the plug for the pickup coil in the distribitor and the power wire will barely make the light turn on and followed it to the ecu and it doesnt have enough power to make a spark ,so it looks like its the ecu as far as i can tell
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Will not start Reply with quote

munky* wrote:
its fuel injected and getting fuel but i took a test light to the plug for the pickup coil in the distribitor and the power wire will barely make the light turn on and followed it to the ecu and it doesnt have enough power to make a spark ,so it looks like its the ecu as far as i can tell

Yes it is fuel injected but is their enough fuel pump pressure.
1991 Cherokee Limited
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you can unplug the CPS for about 15 minutes then plug it back in, if it starts the CPS is bad. Ive tried this on both of my jeeps when they acted up and it worked.

I cant guarantee you that it will fire up but its worth the shot, also you could unplug the battery to reset the computer if just unhooking the cps doesn't work
munky*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help everyone its is running again after two or three years of sitting on a farm it was the cps i replaced it and then fixed the timing and plug wires someone had it a screwed up but just took it down the street and squeeled the tires in my parking lot and they are 31x10.50 so now all i have to do is work out the little bugs here and there Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: