Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axle's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel_1988

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Axle's Reply with quote

I have a 2 wheel drive cherokee with a small block chevrolet in it, Im fixing to put a chevrolet rearend in it with 5.13 gears. But i got to thinking when i go to make it 4wheel drive i dont know if anyone makes 5.13's for the dana 30 front. Does anyone know if i would be able to find those, or is there another front end i could use?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.13 gears in a dana 30 with a small block chev , you will probably strip the gears off the pinion . if they make them . i could be wrong but im pretty sure ya pinion would spin and ring gear would stay in same place Smile plust that big of tire should result in death to the dana 30 . some one may tell you its fine , but i wouldn't do that .

hmmm you could probably take a dana 44 out of a rubicon . or get a 9" from currie or a dana 60 from dynatrac . the currie 9"s start at around 3000$with a locker i believe but you wont break it . the dynatrac's are like 6000$ but there arb locked etc

if you already put in a small block chev you might as well buy a killer front axle .
daniel_1988

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

I already have a gm 10 bolt with big axles and a spool with 5.13's i was just going to weld perches and put new brakes on, was looking for a ..cheaper route for front just a take off from another jeep, like the dana 44 What all dana 44's will fit the cherokee...with at little as work as possible, and easy to find.
badger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Well Reply with quote

daniel_1988 wrote:
.cheaper route for front just a take off from another jeep, like the dana 44 What all dana 44's will fit the cherokee...with at little as work as possible, and easy to find.

not going to happen ....there is no cheap axle to toss under a cherokee.have you looked at how its mounted?you would have to fabricate all the brackets or buy them.

in order to do the 4 wheel drive conversion you will have to find a donor cherokee so you can snag everything from the transmission to the drive shafts.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place you are going to find a front 44 that will even come close to bolting in is out of a Rubicon. But with a Chevy SB and plans for 5.13's, I wouldn't even waste money on 44's...I'd go right to a D60 in the front and something like a 14 bolt or D70 in the rear.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 bolt chev is a really weak axle , you don't want it .
daniel_1988

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm to the perrson that said ill need a donor jeep, dont need transmission or t-case i already said i was running a chevy v8, the 10 bolt fine for what im doing is has big axles..(and studs:( ) in it, if i have to ill do somin. jeez the v8 is nice but im not doing 5k clutch dumps and the jeep dosent weight a ton.. so do i really need a 14 bolt or the like. Erm i can weld control arm brackets in i am currently using one's i made anyway...( going to colege for welding) so i can work with it. blah im tired of typing...ill do somin thanks yall
badger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i'm the one that said you would need a donor.its kind of a reflex action when you hear somebody wanting to make a 2 wheel into 4 wheel.

as for making it 4 wheel drive.what trans and case do you plan on running?

lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your going about this all wrong....buy a CJ frame from quadratec...hack of the leaf hangers......attach your Xj body...build tube cage around it....then mortgage your house then buy an atlas II 4sp.......sell you sb chevy buy an LS1 and turbo 400 .....install.....buy 2.5 ton titan axles from posion spyder customs buy a buncha Heim joints and suspension mounts.... make a triagulated 4 link front and rear.....buy king coilerovers with 20 inchs of travel.....build hydro steering...and run rear steer..... run maxxis creepy crawlers....but thats just me.....

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: