Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snorkel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mexirican

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Snorkel Reply with quote

It has been raining here for the past few days so I decided to take my Cherokee our for some mud fun. Here in AZ, 1 in of rain is a lot to us, so keep that in mine. I was out on the side of the road in at most 2 inches of water and maybe 3 or so inches of mud under that. i was having some fun blasting through the "puddles" when i noticed another Cherokee coming up. The guy pulls up and we start talking. He tells me what he wouldn't go splashing around like i was cause it would flood the engine. I though it would flood if i was in deep water but 2 inches? Come on. Is there any truth to this at all? Keep in mind that there was, AT MOST, 2 inches of water and about the same of mud under that. I really don't want to install a snorkel just to go puddle hopping.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the guy told you was wrong, u can fool around in mud/ watter combo 4" deep all day.

i have driven my ZJ with 32's and a 3.5" lift through 18 inches of watter and i had no worries.
mexirican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought! I had an old 2wd POS Chevy S-10 that I used to mess around with like this and it never stalled. I figured that Cherokees would be better than S-10's for off roading but this guy made me think. Especially since my Cherokee has 32x10.5 and a 3 inch lift.
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove my zj through water up over the hood.

It stalled.

LOL

...Fortunately the water crossing was not wide and it made it mosty out before stalling (the hood was out anyway)... I cranked it awhile and it eventually started again.

BTW The ZJ official fording depth (stock) is 19 inches so the XJ is probably similar and you have lift and larger than stock tires so you should be OK up over 2 feet.
mexirican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what about splashing water? i know that driving slow through water would have less of a chance of flooding but what about romping through it. Sliding. Drifting. All that fun stuff.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is still full of crap, even if u are splashing mud and watter around, you would have to splash up such a huge ball of mud and watter that the ball proably wouldnt make it up into ur engine compartment full enough to clog you.

also, when ur doing doughnuts and stuff in the mud, ur throwing mud and watter 2 the sides and behind u, generaly not straight up.

it make make a difference as to weather u have a cold air intake or if u have stock intake
mexirican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truck is stock other than the lift kit and tires. beside completely submerging my Jeep in water, would i ever need to get a snorkel? it just being used for play wight now. nothing serious.
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If if something bad COULD happen from spashing (which it won't) it would not be flooding... It would be water in the fuse box or something so yeah... You should have no problems.
mexirican

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help. also. i was wondering if Cherokees came with any form of a locking Differential. i know they don't have lockers, but did they come with posi at all? i noticed that when i was messing around, it was difficult to get the rear end to whip around. i know the front doesnt have it but is it tru that without locking axles, all the power is going to the driver front and passenger rear tire?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with out lockers or posi you get uneven power on uneven traction , so if say your passenger tire is lifted in the air it will spin and the drivers side will stay still , same with the front .

with posi it will lock up when they spin to much . lockers lock .

uhm water into the engine is not a good thing . i have gone up to top of my bumper in water with my jeep messing around in a pond it was fine .

you could put a screen over the opening of your air box if you want , something like a pair of panty hose or something . it might get clogged once in a while but will keep the shit out . some people put them on there cold air filters .

my dana 35 has a posi ,cherokee's never had lockers to my knowledge
infact alot of them have posi's just see if you have a tag that says add limited slip additive on the differential cover .
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locker or not, that rear end should whip around in the mud no problem. As far as the water goes, I would say that with splashing, the first thing you would encounter is a wet distributor cap. That's with spashing through a deep ass puddle, not a little rain drop on the side of the road!!! Mr. Green You said that 1" of rain is a lot where you live, I wouldn't worry about a snorkel! With my ZJ I go above the door cladding all the time with water and it's fine as long as I don't stop, then the floors will fill with stagnant puddle water.
This isn't very deep, but I had no problems, it's way deeper than 4".

This one is at the more shallow end of the puddle, I had to be pulled out cause my shitty tires couldn't make it up the ledge, which isn't in the pic. My buddy had to stay in the Jeep so it didn't flood when he opened the door!

mexirican

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13, you are so lucky that you get to play in things like that. granted i've only had my Jeep for a month but in Arizona, we have nothing like that. it rains so little here that we only get to play in the dry stuff. the only reason i ask about the rear end it that i got stuck on a 3' tall hill when i first got my Cherokee. i was crawling up it in 4H then stopped on top to check our the articulation. it was maxed out on both sides. my rear drivers side tire was tucked all the way up in the wheel well and made the drivers front almost come off the ground. me and my buddy got out, laughed a bit at it, then got back in to find that i was stuck. even though the passenger front and drive side rear tire were the only things touching the ground. the other tires were spinning like crazy. we had to rock the truck to get it out.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have open carriers.
Front sway bar disconnects would help you in a situation like that, when disconnected they will help to keep the wheels planted on the ground.
I would remove the rear sway bar, you don't need it.

mexirican

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you suggest i invest in lockers or posi?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but not if you plan on going bigger than 33's. I'm assuming you have a d35 rear, they do not hold up good with larger tire and locker combos. It'll cost a bit more, but the Detroit Truetrac (limited slip) would be good for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: